Question about bio media and oxygen

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Currently I have temporary housing for my fish while I order a new stand. Will bacteria stay intact if biomedia is just wet without extra oxygen? I have airstones running through some, but I don't have enough to aerate everything.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Currently I have temporary housing for my fish while I order a new stand. Will bacteria stay intact if biomedia is just wet without extra oxygen? I have airstones running through some, but I don't have enough to aerate everything.

Yes Bio Bacteria will be intact.

Reactions: FINWIN

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
If it's in a completely sealed container? *Edit* Like in a canister that's been switched off. No, it will be almost all dead in a few hours. If it's not sealed, say sitting inside the tank then it should be fine.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If it's in a completely sealed container? No, it will be almost all dead in a few hours. If it's not sealed, say sitting inside the tank then it should be fine.

That's what I was assuming it was in the aquarium.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
If it's in a completely sealed container? *Edit* Like in a canister that's been switched off. No, it will be almost all dead in a few hours. If it's not sealed, say sitting inside the tank then it should be fine.
My ceramic media bags are in totes with the fish, all submerged. These were removed from the hobs. However, I haven't checked the bio-bale in the corner filters. I'll have to open them up to see if its still wet inside...they're sitting in the tank.

Waiting on some final information about the new stand before I order.

In other small news, my BP Patch (avatar) is huge...she's so loaded with eggs her belly nearly drags the bottom when she swims low. I swear she must be the happiest parrot on earth. She puts out a farm of eggs every 2 weeks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store