Question about computers.

urbaninja

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Aqua Sanctuary;2754750; said:
let me know if you get things sorted
He didn't reply to my pm but this is what I asked.

Well I'm thinking about changing my wireless G dsl modem to a wireless N, and was wondering if there will really be a difference in the wireless speed as of right now my connection speed is only 54mbps. Also does the dsl speed affect the wireless n speed? On the ethernet I get 100mbps of connection speed. Second is that i read that wireless n will perform better if you are using wpa encryption as of right now my modem/router is using wep, so is it difficult to set up wpa or will the modem i buy come with instructions. im planning on getting
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/DGN2000.aspx?detail=Specifications
or the belkin n wireless dsl modem. If you have any experience with either please let me know also if you reccomend one please feel free to post.Thanks in advance.
Brian S.

Eamiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Member Andres is a big computer nerd. He also worked with a network engineer for a year so he might be able to help.

Aqua Sanctuary

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
The Internet
www.myspace.com
Yes the G I believe means general use and N stands for networking.

I upgraded a while ago from a G to a N and there was a great increase in speed more than 10x faster I would say. And yes the new modem comes with several choices for encryption. They explain what is best and or faster usually pretty well in the setup guide.

DivinEvil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Montana
I'm pretty sure your computer has to have a wireless N adapter in order to use the wireless N on the router, otherwise there's no point in getting a wireless N router unless you plan to upgrade your wireless adapter on your computer to a wireless N adapter.

Aqua Sanctuary

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
The Internet
www.myspace.com
DivinEvil;2754974; said:
I'm pretty sure your computer has to have a wireless N adapter in order to use the wireless N on the router, otherwise there's no point in getting a wireless N router unless you plan to upgrade your wireless adapter on your computer to a wireless N adapter.
Yep, or if your wireless card is integrated with your computer, check to see if it allows the desired bitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store