Question about filtering a 400 Gallon Tank

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Hey Guys - I am setting up a 400 Gallon tank, I don't like sumps so I had decided to run Three - FX5's but now I am wondering if there is a better option? I saw someone selling a used Ultima filter but its a 2000 which wont fit in my stand as its too tall. I am just wondering if anyone knows of a better option that running all these FX5's that's NOW a sump system?

Thanks Arkangel77

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you're going to run FX why not FX6? in place of the 5 these are a little bigger. Is it a cost thing? I get it if it is. They are pricey.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I already have 2 FX5's and was gona pick up a 3rd from a Buddy - The FX5/6 is the same filter, I have a FX6 on my sons tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just curious as to why you don't like sump systems?

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Fair questions - I used sumps for years well over a decade =). I prefer the enclosed systems better - I truly like the FX filters but was looking for an alternative that is easier to maintain. But to ask your question, dont like the big open sump under the stand, dont love the required overflow/standpipe's , dont like maintaining them at all, always noisy or hard to maintain, just agrivating - If I ever did one again I would do a K1 filter - dont really have the space needed for that in this new setup and still - lol, just dont like sumps

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Fair questions - I used sumps for years well over a decade =). I prefer the enclosed systems better - I truly like the FX filters but was looking for an alternative that is easier to maintain. But to ask your question, dont like the big open sump under the stand, dont love the required overflow/standpipe's , dont like maintaining them at all, always noisy or hard to maintain, just agrivating - If I ever did one again I would do a K1 filter - dont really have the space needed for that in this new setup and still - lol, just dont like sumps
I'd rather a sump. I had three canisters on my 240 and they were a pain to clean. Plus the sand that gets into them

Reactions: Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Are there no other options? Not really trying to debate who likes what filters - just want to see if there is something out there I am not familiar with?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for answering Angel.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey Guys - I am setting up a 400 Gallon tank, I don't like sumps so I had decided to run Three - FX5's but now I am wondering if there is a better option? I saw someone selling a used Ultima filter but its a 2000 which wont fit in my stand as its too tall. I am just wondering if anyone knows of a better option that running all these FX5's that's NOW a sump system?

Thanks Arkangel77
I run that exact filter and some other size Ultima filters on various tanks as well. There is nothing wrong with preferring a closed loop system over a sump. I have both and they ave their own advantages and disadvantages over one another. Another filter to look at is the Ultima II 1000. You would max out the flow but running two would divide the flow in half between the two (or you can run two smaller pumps) . I have a hybrid of this I'm working on for a pond off of a single Reeflo pump.

What specific questions do you have Arkangel77 Arkangel77 ?

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
It depends on your stocking level and your ability to maintain the filters. To illustrate, you can filter a 400 with just a small sponge filter if you've only got a pair of guppies in there.

You know that the more fish you have in there, the more often you'll have to squeeze out the media in the canisters and the more hassle it'll be. And with a large tank like you have, I'm guessing you'll be stocking it with heavy poopers... which makes the sump really something to consider.

If sumps are out, then go for the most number of canisters you can afford depending on how often you are willing to clean them. In which case, FX5 or FX6 will be the way to go. I know Eheim has (had?) a massive filter comparable to FX6.... so if you have a large bioload, just scale up the number of canisters. Heck, slap 10 FX6s on there if the media is clogging too often... Sky's the limit!

Other option is you can make DIY canister filters out of 5 gallon buckets. YMMV on the long term durability/performance of these, though.

Enjoy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store