Question about mix shoals natts&caribe or adding fish to a group.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
So I just started with the hobby and been reading a lot in the forums to be a better keeper for my natts. I’m just wondering is there a timeframe to when ur supposed to introduce additional fish to the group If u decide to? or can u like for example add more fish to a group of natts who grew up together for like a year Wether it is a the same species or not. Ex adding 3 caribe to 3 natts who are grown up. Thanks in advance guys

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Easy answer would be to introduce them when they are very small and ideally at the same time. Also, may be a bit easier when they are full grown adults. If I have a nice balance and a hierarchy is established in my large red shoal over the first year, then I personally won’t be making any additions. It would be cool to add a Piraya or Caribe but I won’t be taking that chance. However, if I have more losses than I would like in the first year then I may try to add some different Pygos to the shoal to fill it out.

Reactions: tlindsey

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
oh ok thank u, I just wanted to see if I should add more now if I want since they’re around 2” than adding during before the first year or late when their full grown. So far no nip fins and chases only last like 2 sec and that’s it but it still too early to know. and will it be bad to add like another fish twice bigger than them In size? Like 1 or 2

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
My instincts tell me that you will experience some trouble adding Caribe that are 2 inches larger to a smaller tank with 3 reds.

Reactions: dr exum

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you’re adding piranhas, get them around the same size as the ones you have, and get more than you want. Chances are a few will be killed.

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
Also, Caribe are much more aggressive that red bellies. If it were me and I wanted some caribe (which I do!), I would get rid of the reds first. In my experience, eventually the caribe will pick off the reds, one by one, bullying them until they either get killed our you remove them. I have found that piraya and ternetzi do better with caribe than reds.

Reactions: tlindsey

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Also, Caribe are much more aggressive that red bellies. If it were me and I wanted some caribe (which I do!), I would get rid of the reds first. In my experience, eventually the caribe will pick off the reds, one by one, bullying them until they either get killed our you remove them. I have found that piraya and ternetzi do better with caribe than reds.
So far so good on my mix shoal :) 2 mos now.. so fingers crossed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store