Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
hi

i am planning to have aquarium with the following dimensions

200cm L x 60cm H x 80cm W
or
6.5' L x 2' H x 2.6' W

im goin to put a 15cm / 6" super red arowana in it

i just bought a fluvial fx6 with the flow rate of 564 gal/Hr.. meanwhile my tank volume is approximately 200 gal of water.

so my question is, do you think 1 fluval fx6 canister filter is enough?

also the fx6 says the pump output to be 925gal/Hr.. do i need to care more about the flow rate or the pump output actually?

thx!

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If you're just going to have the single Arowana in the tank. Its more then adequate. The Fx6 is better at mechanical filtration But still has a decent volume for other media If you wanted to expand on your bio load in the future with more fish. I think its about 5.9L if I remember correctly. Plus Im sure the Arow will enjoy swimming in the return current from the FX6.

Last edited:

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
If you're just going to have the single Arowana in the tank. Its more then adequate. The Fx6 is better at mechanical filtration But still has a decent volume for other media If you wanted to expand on your bio load in the future with more fish. I think its about 1.5L if I remember correctly. Plus Im sure the Arow will enjoy swimming in the return current from the FX6.
so just 1 fluval fx6 i enough for a 200 gal aquarium with only 1 arowana, even though it only has 564 gal/hr of flow rate?

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
so just 1 fluval fx6 i enough for a 200 gal aquarium with only 1 arowana, even though it only has 564 gal/hr of flow rate?
More than enough for the entire life of the Arowana. You could even use the FX6 on a larger tank if you ever upgraded.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
More than enough for the entire life of the Arowana. You could even use the FX6 on a larger tank if you ever upgraded.
this part is what i dont understand.. i read everywhere that the flow rate needs to br at least 4 to 5 times the tank volume.. or is it only for a tank with a lot of fishes in it? and different rules apply for a tank with only one fish in it?

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
this part is what i dont understand.. i read everywhere that the flow rate needs to br at least 4 to 5 times the tank volume.. or is it only for a tank with a lot of fishes in it? and different rules apply for a tank with only one fish in it?
The 4-5x GPH turn over rule is really one I've only seen applied to sumps. But I could be wrong. Fluval states the FX6 is good up to a 400 gallon aquarium. That figure is probably generated off of a light to moderate bio load in that size of tank. The flow rate and media capacity is more than enough to keep a singe Asian Arowana healthy.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
The 4-5x GPH turn over rule is really one I've only seen applied to sumps. But I could be wrong. Fluval states the FX6 is good up to a 400 gallon aquarium. That figure is probably generated off of a light to moderate bio load in that size of tank. The flow rate and media capacity is more than enough to keep a singe Asian Arowana healthy.
cool thank you !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store