Question About Oscars...

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I have tried looking this up numerous ways and cannot really find an answer....relatively just curious. Do Albino Oscars have more health issues, smaller sizes, weaker immune systems, etc. etc. vs. "regular" black or non-albino types?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have tried looking this up numerous ways and cannot really find an answer....relatively just curious. Do Albino Oscars have more health issues, smaller sizes, weaker immune systems, etc. etc. vs. "regular" black or non-albino types?
Jexnell Jexnell

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I have a friend whose albino oscar went blind after 10 years and couldn't see anything. He had to be removed and fed separately. I don't know wther that was once in a million case or something related to albinism.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A true albino will have red eyes and no coloration besides white and pink on the body. The orange markings in Oscar's is not a skin coloration, it's from light reflection off the skin.
The rest of the "White" colored Oscar's are Lutino. They can have black eyes and color on the body fins.
Now I have not raised a true albino myself so I can't comment on that. I did raise a Lutino to 12 inches before I gave her to a fellow MFKer who had the proper water for her to thrive in. As my water was liquid rock. Total dissolved solids well over 300 and PH in the 7.8 to 8.2 range.
I had no problems with her save the missing nostril. I didn't notice when I got her at less than one inch in size. Became apparent later on.20170605_181541.jpg
The day I got her20180905_091412.jpg
Here you can see the missing nostril. It never really effected her save once, she got what seemed like a infection in the side with no nostril, but it cleared up in a week on it's own.20171026_153904.jpg
Here you can see the lump from the infection I am guessing she had.20180830_172218.jpg
Here she is at 12in. Had no problems with her at all after that one infection that solved itself.
20181020_200313.jpg
And a couple years later at 14in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store