Question about PH

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Well the package says it contains beneficial bacteria to help get a new tank started. I mean I know I could rinse it and there should be no salt left correct? But say I left unrinsed, is this better overall for my fish if it can tolerate the salt? That is my main question thanks for reply and any more info!

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Well the package says it contains beneficial bacteria to help get a new tank started. I mean I know I could rinse it and there should be no salt left correct? But say I left unrinsed, is this better overall for my fish if it can tolerate the salt? That is my main question thanks for reply and any more info!
Any beneficial bacteria would be marine bacteria and would promptly die.

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Well thanka for that info lol so then definitely rinse it? Will rinsing it be enough to get rid of the salt content so I need not worry about acclimating?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Why would you need to do that? Are you not planning to rinse the substrate before using it? Or ever doing water changes?
Agree with this, rinse the substrate, although a little seawater shouldn't be a problem in a large enough tank, if I remember right your tank is 10 gallons, its only a puddle, so you need to upgrade tp something like a 55 gal soon, and even that will be temporary for this species, or it will end up with hole in the head, which is a common malady for uropthalmus if not given proper space, and lots of water changes.

Reactions: Finthusiast

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
I am actually setting up a 75 gallon as we speak that is what I am adding the substrate to. I got 4 bags of that substrate, so if I add this then I should rinse all substrate then add it to the aquarium?

image.jpg

also heres a link to a video I took tonight of him cleaning out his sand bed He is still in the ten gallong for now until I get this bigger on set up right

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store