Question about wave makers

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I have a 100 gallon, feed fish sparingly but I see fish waste on my substrate and after doing some research I concluded that I don't have enough water movement. All my water movement is mainly at surface. I don't have an air stone. I use a canister filter. There is more than enough surface agitation because of it. I have an internal power head filter but tank is 5 feet so its not enough.

I never installed a wave maker in my tank. I want to add one to move the water. So my question is how many watts wave maker I need for my tank? Stocking is blue dolphins, yellow labs, dragon peacocks, some haps (not large) but I have 3 dolphins and they are like 5 to 6 inches long so they won't appreciate a strong flow. I don't want to make them uncomfortable with high current so please advise accordingly. Thanks.

Last edited:

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Powerheads and wavemakers rarely are rated by watts, it will be in the specs of course, but isn't really that important. For a 100 gallon tank I'd suggest one or two in the 1000GPH range. Something like a Jebao OW-25 should do, it's cheap, adjustable from 185-2245 GPH and gives a nice wide flow.
I run a pair of them on my 440L, at full power they give it a nice slow current.

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Powerheads and wavemakers rarely are rated by watts, it will be in the specs of course, but isn't really that important. For a 100 gallon tank I'd suggest one or two in the 1000GPH range. Something like a Jebao OW-25 should do, it's cheap, adjustable from 185-2245 GPH and gives a nice wide flow.
I run a pair of them on my 440L, at full power they give it a nice slow current.
Thanks a lot. Do you have both at the same end of your tank or one is at right and other on left?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store