Question Algae in Cold Water Tank

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I'm thinking about converting my 1000g tank to a cold water tank to raise a brown trout. I'm curious if anyone who has run tanks consistently around 55*F - 65*F can comment on algal growth in their tanks. I'd plumb my UV sterilizer into the chiller lines regardless, but I was just curious if I might be able to run my lights more often without fighting algae. Thanks for any insight.

aaronhas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
shouldn't be too big an issue as long as you have adequate filtration and keep up on your water changes. Many algae are adapted to cold water. my tanks are currently at 58 degrees and grow some diatoms with very low light input and very good water quality. There's green "moss" algae that grows well in cold o2 rich environments too, you shouldn't have to much of an issue with cyano or lots of the more usual subjects though

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Something even cooler could be a Yellowstone biotype. Maybe Cutthroat Trout with Arctic Whitefish? Put large rocks at the bottom, and maybe some flow or something, and you have yourself a sweet tank!

Reactions: aaronhas

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I'm thinking about converting my 1000g tank to a cold water tank to raise a brown trout. I'm curious if anyone who has run tanks consistently around 55*F - 65*F can comment on algal growth in their tanks. I'd plumb my UV sterilizer into the chiller lines regardless, but I was just curious if I might be able to run my lights more often without fighting algae. Thanks for any insight.
What's up Doc?
What type of algae are you fighting? Floating? Wall? String? Brown?
In koi ponds, there are definitely less algae and solids during winter months.

Reactions: tlindsey

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
KEN!!!!!

I was hoping you were still around. PM me your number again and I'll give you call sometime to discuss the tank. It's worked out really well, but there are a few changes I need to make as I finally get around to some maintenance after seven years.

ATM I'm not having any algae issues with the tank in the low 70s,. Although I would if I had more lights on since the UV isn't in the loop currently. I recently lost my Asian arowana (25" - 9lbs :(), so I am at point for the first time in years where I'm looking for a new wet pet.

I'm not even sure I can legally keep a trout as we aren't allowed to keep sportfish. But you can buy them for your pond, so I am going to see if it's possible to keep one in my aquarium. Otherwise it's back to 3-5 Asian arowana or some more CIchla if anyone is collecting during Covid. Cheers.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I lived next to Lake Michigan for years, average water temps were in the mid to high 50sF.
Sessile algae grew to a depth of almost 25 ft of depth, where ever there was sufficient enough light.
In fact in my microbiology studies we had an entire text, dedicated just to the thousands of algal species of the US Great Lakes.

Reactions: aaronhas

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
KEN!!!!!

I was hoping you were still around. PM me your number again and I'll give you call sometime to discuss the tank. It's worked out really well, but there are a few changes I need to make as I finally get around to some maintenance after seven years.

ATM I'm not having any algae issues with the tank in the low 70s,. Although I would if I had more lights on since the UV isn't in the loop currently. I recently lost my Asian arowana (25" - 9lbs :(), so I am at point for the first time in years where I'm looking for a new wet pet.

I'm not even sure I can legally keep a trout as we aren't allowed to keep sportfish. But you can buy them for your pond, so I am going to see if it's possible to keep one in my aquarium. Otherwise it's back to 3-5 Asian arowana or some more CIchla if anyone is collecting during Covid. Cheers.
As far as I know we cant keep our wild caught fish here in alberta... one guy I had talked to here has a rainbow trout and even put it up on kijiji for sale.. not sure how that went tbh lol.. you would def havto look it up.. not sure even anyone would know you had it regardless but good luck sir.

Reactions: deeda

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I find algae operates the same in my trout tank as my tropical tanks. If the water quality slips I get more algae, if I maintain the water quality, I get much less.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store