Question and snail ID

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ive had these little guys for a few months now. They came in as hitchhikers on some plants I bought. I gave up hope that I had a pair since I haven't seen any babies or eggs.
Well, this morning I think I caught them in the act! They are doing what I think they are doing, right?
IMG_1022.JPG

I'm also hoping someone can tell me what kind of snail they are. I'm thinking bladder snail?
I'd like to know so I can research them and hopefully get a breeding colony going.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A bit hard to tell from the underside. A photo of the shell shape will help.

This is just a guess with very weak confidence, but my guess from the first photos is a common pond snail. If so you will have plenty.

By the way, good for you in liking snails. I have kept them in most tanks for many years.

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
S skjl47 Here is another one. I didn't want to take him out of the water, but let me know if you need a better picture.
IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
I love snails. A couple years ago I had trapdoors and some kinda spiral snail. I wish I would have gotten more of those on my plants this year. Maybe when I bring my pond plants in for the year I'll find some snails on those.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; My guess is still a pond snail based on the shape of the shell. I have had some that look similar and figured that to be what they were. I have not gone into the fine points of snail ID however.
A backup guess due to the spots is maybe a type of assisan (SP ?) ( type that kills and eats other snails).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store