question for fish store owners in the u.s

dangerhack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
NJ
how much is your power and water bills each month on average? just doing more research.
I don't own a fish store, But power an water bills can prob be a huge range depending on size of store. A lot of factors to consider. Also depends prob what kind of fish stock them mostly have fresh salt ect... Might need more specific lighting heat ect.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Pm somethingfishinc. His username is something like that.He has or had worth I know a a fish store in ohio.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Depends on the size of the store, how many tanks, how many saltwater tanks, time of season, location in country, etc. Electric rates vary throughout the country. So do water rates. Costs could vary from a few hundred dollars per month to a few thousand dollars per month.

Somethingfishyinc.net

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
www.Somethingfishyinc.net
Hey Jp here i am. Sorry mail box full. not on here as much.
Like the others pointed out that there would be many variables involved.
When it comes to Marine live stock the cost are much higher or at least when I had the salt store going. Now with the LED lighting in play the cost could be coming down as pose to running Metal Halides etc..
I have over 400 tanks & about 21,000 or so running between my retail store & the hatcheries. I am in Cleveland so the cost is a bit less then in the suburbs. My cost have been going up though & I do not see them going down much. I did put all new store front Windows a few years ago that helped & also have replace a old furnace with a 95% effecient on the other show rm & hatchery. So I have tried to reduce the cost & has helped & will help knowing it will only go up in the future.
I just replaced my old 1/2 hp blower with a new 1hp & is on a 220 line. Its more effecient & should run me around $40 a month & runs about 350 tanks or so with much more it can run. I will add some more racks on to this new bigger blower so I can take off another air pump.
Right now my cost are about $1000. a month or so.

Now my ? is why you want to know or the research? You plan on opening a shop?

me Dave
my direct email
Somethingfishyinc@gmail.com

Somethingfishyinc.net

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
www.Somethingfishyinc.net
^ Chi. I have not cut back on water changes or at least for now! Just got my water/sewer bill yesterday & was $80 more then last. my w/s bill has about tripled then it was a few years ago.
It sucks & I try not to raise prices but its hard plus everything else also keeps going up.
Not a easy business to be in thats for sure. I have been in business over 21 years now & working in for a total of more then 28 so I have seen it, been there, done that, herd that, felt that, etc.. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store