Question for the Old Heads here...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Any of you ever get a handle on the mechanics of "cichlid heirarchy?" The minute a situation starts to make sense it doesn't.

So onstage we've got the Oscar (#1) one Bp (#2), a Severum (#4) and another Bp (#3)

Now for the weirdness. I should say all of this got started with the introduction of Bp #3 who is ambitious to say the least. Now the heirarchy of everyone (except the Oscar) is all over the place. For example:

Bp #3 got picked on by #2 and #4. I expected this as the new BP settled in. #2 saw #3 as the 'competition parrot' so the chasing was intense for a few days. #4 would take random shots.

Then Bp #3 goes after the Severum #4. Severum now runs from BP#3 after picking on the same fish days prior.

Bp #3 gets too ambitious and goes after the Oscar #1. This attempt was crushed. Bp #3 now moves aside or runs from Oscar.

Out of nowhere, BP #3 chased BP #2 all over the tank. This went on for exactly one day. A complete reversal after that. Then BP #3 gets bounced around by BP #2. (WTF)

So no changes for 2 days. Until I couldn't find BP# 2. I poked around the tank and saw his belly sticking out of some vines. Fearing the worst I lifted the vines and he shot out. Now he's hiding from BP #3. Or when they come in contact he just won't move while BP #3 nudges him.

And now the Severum picks on BP#3 again and chases him away. Fish that fight one day run the next. The only one unaffected is the Oscar.

For the life of me I don't understand cichlids. It's like
Alice in Wonderland meet Freddy Krueger.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Every case different.....fish are not cones and some are more aggressive and territorial than others...Tank size, age, hides....so many variables

Reactions: tlindsey and Jmahn

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
Agreed so many variables that can change behaviour but I've seen some weird fish end up being bullies/alphas I'd prob just say its a power struggle for the fish below the Oscar id just keep a close eye on them for now

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You get rid of jerks until you get harmony. I'd scrap #3.

All males and tank space is the only way I got a decent community

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
You get rid of jerks until you get harmony. I'd scrap #3.

All males and tank space is the only way I got a decent community
I think you're right...when a 5 inch parrot wants to take on an 11 inch oscar you have to wonder what's up. But that nonsense got stopped in 1 second and the oscar is the only one that keeps him in check. But I think Tango has to go. Kind of hate to do it, he's a very reactive and personable fish but not at the expense of everyone else.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yep welcome to the world of community cichlids. It sucks that's why all but the most determined steer ckear

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store