Question on Foam Fractionator?

LukeMichael

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2015
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 2.01.47 PM.png

Is it possible to improve the quality of foam from a tower style foam fractionation by adding an air pump to it. If so how should air be added? Pumped through the bottom or maybe a Venturi at some point in the column? Picture to show an example of the kind of fractionator in question.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I know duanes duanes has used skimming in freshwater applications before.
My experience is with saltwater skimming, so it’s a little different.
I would think Venturi would be the way to go to really get the air chopped up and mixed with the water more effectively.

LukeMichael

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2015
I agree that the venturi would probably be best especially for introducing more air into the system i just wonder what is the most efficient way to plum it as well. Im worried if the venturi is placed near the top the contact time to remove small particles would be minimum, but if it was introduced at the bottom the flow of water would suck the air into the plumbing instead of up through the contact chamber, thank you for the reply!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I agree that the venturi would probably be best especially for introducing more air into the system i just wonder what is the most efficient way to plum it as well. Im worried if the venturi is placed near the top the contact time to remove small particles would be minimum, but if it was introduced at the bottom the flow of water would suck the air into the plumbing instead of up through the contact chamber, thank you for the reply!
This is where the flow produce by the pump use and the amount of air introduced would have to be tailored to the size and flow pattern of the plumbing.
Others may be able to help with those specs but more then likely you will have to experiment to really get it dialed in.
Is this already built or just the planning phase?

LukeMichael

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2015
Just in the planning phase as part of a larger aquaponics system thats probably going to be further down the road then i would like. Ive read much about fractionation and protein skimming and am trying to innovate the design to be more efficient though my ideas are probably nothing new. My basic thought in this system is that as the water flows down the media inside acts to break the bubbles apart and produce the foam to remove solids, I've seen this design a few times and have been excited by their results. I hope the implantation of more air into the system could improve the efficiency (even if its just a little bit) since foam fractionation does not work as well in freshwater if that makes sense?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Have you read through this?

LukeMichael

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2015
Yes i have it was a very good thread! Ive pretty much read every thread on here and online that i could fine about protein skimming and fractionation, Ive yet to see anyone try to "combine" the methods as i have proposed above. I wonder if that is because it is too difficult or ineffective or simply this design was good enough for each persons bioload and didn't consider trying to improve its function by adding more air. I also wonder if simply setting the venturi at the top and allowing the down flow to suck the air into the column would be a simple way of improving the system. I am unsure though, i figured if anyone had any clue id find them here haha

LukeMichael

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have watched your video many times! I think its a great concept and design but theoretically if yo wanted to improve it, do you believe you could add air to it to improve it and if so how would you add it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As you can see, I started with minimum height, and added height as it went long (the white PVC connectors), ending up at 4 ft being adequate.
I have seen some, much taller (more than 10 ft tall) for large koi ponds.
Maybe an airstone strategically placed in the tube would help, I haven't tried it though.
When I was building venturi models pump size seemed to be the most important factor.
I tried first with a 500 g.p.h. pump and couldn't get any real action, it worked best using with 1800 g.p.h. or more to get foam.
I also tried using a Hayward spa jet venturi, but then needed an even larger pump.
39D3E732-8E7C-407C-AA10-54F16471940F_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: LukeMichael
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store