Question regarding Cherry Pearl

Thenamescarter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
Been doing a lot of general research about flowerhorns for couple months. I recently purchased a beautiful Cherry Pearl. I been trying to research more about my specific type, but most things I find refer to "King Cherry Pearl" not just Cherry Pearl. Is there a difference? Or just same fish different versions of the name? Apologize if this is a dumb question. Just trying to be as informed as possible in all aspects. Thanks for your time.

Flowerhorn Supply

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
I have never heard of a "Cherry Pearl" or "King Cherry Pearl". Do you have a picture? Most likely it is something that falls into the ZZ category.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Been doing a lot of general research about flowerhorns for couple months. I recently purchased a beautiful Cherry Pearl. I been trying to research more about my specific type, but most things I find refer to "King Cherry Pearl" not just Cherry Pearl. Is there a difference? Or just same fish different versions of the name? Apologize if this is a dumb question. Just trying to be as informed as possible in all aspects. Thanks for your time.
Marketing name, nothing much in there. Post pics.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Nice Red Dragon you have there. He even has some deep reds on his tail fin. Now the trick is giving him plenty of water changes and a healthy pellet. Best healthy foods to bring out the best red color on your fish is New Life Spectrum's Ultra Red or Hikari's Blood Parrot food. Other great food I use are Fluval's Bug Bites and Northfin's Cichlid Pellets. Never feed live foods. Your flowerhorn is going to be so cool to watch as he develops into what I fully believe is going to be a stunning looking adult.

Thenamescarter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
Thanks guys, I've been giving him Grand Sumo, but could change it up if you guys suggest it. Would honestly rather something I could buy local and not have to always have it shipped especially with all this chaos going on lately. And yeah I rather keep him strictly on pellets. I made the live/frozen food mistake with my Discus and German Blue Rams. Once they tried that stuff I can't get em to eat dry food worth a damn anymore.. don't wanna go down that path with this guy.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's a SRD, ZZ. The cherry part of the name is referring to the color while the pearl references the pearls on it. Regardless it's a very nice looking FH, good find.
Make sense to link cherry to red color, I saw 'cherry hump flowerhorn' at lfs and he wasn't much red, so my initial thought was hump shape linked to cherry.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Nice Red Dragon you have there. He even has some deep reds on his tail fin. Now the trick is giving him plenty of water changes and a healthy pellet. Best healthy foods to bring out the best red color on your fish is New Life Spectrum's Ultra Red or Hikari's Blood Parrot food. Other great food I use are Fluval's Bug Bites and Northfin's Cichlid Pellets. Never feed live foods. Your flowerhorn is going to be so cool to watch as he develops into what I fully believe is going to be a stunning looking adult.
What he said.

Thanks guys, I've been giving him Grand Sumo, but could change it up if you guys suggest it. Would honestly rather something I could buy local and not have to always have it shipped especially with all this chaos going on lately. And yeah I rather keep him strictly on pellets. I made the live/frozen food mistake with my Discus and German Blue Rams. Once they tried that stuff I can't get em to eat dry food worth a damn anymore.. don't wanna go down that path with this guy.
Grand sumo has like 60 percent protein, not good in long run.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store