question

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
city_of_evil6661;1469377; said:
i havent got the bgk yet but its to big for my gar to eat.
the bgk is more than half the gars size
then it might just work, but bear in mind that gars have been known to swipe at things far too large to be eaten.:)

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
I think we are all leaving out one important detail...
you have a 55 gallon tank, no job, and you are worrying about buying more fish that will outgrow your tank. To top it off, a 120 or 125 gallon isnt even going to be big enough for your longnose. They grow fast and will likely outgrow that tank too in no time.
A BGK may seem big enough that your gar wont eat him now, but like said, your gar is going to grow and will eventually be able to eat the knife. People keep them together with no problems, but every fish is different and since you have a gar that gets bigger than the average florida/spotted, then in your case it may be risky to try.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;1468605; said:
I was thinking maybe one of these would be a good side dish...
http://www.bassonhook.com/fishforfood/garrecipes.html
:grinno:;):D:ROFL:
Best way to cook gar is to cook them over a good wood fire.
Just clean out the inerds and gills, Clean the fish with some rock salt and cold water, shove a big pointy stick in there mouth (Makes a good handle and roasting stake) and roast it until golden brown.

When done serve whole on a plate and just peel the skin down the back (Back meat is the best). Serve with a good chilli / fresh herb sambal and some lemon and lime....(Good beer goes well with it too :D )

Now that is some yummmy gar!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store