question

large_cichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
cichlid city
I kno reddevils eat beef heart.But what exactly is it and where can u buy it.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
It's just the heart musscle of a cow.

There are some grocery stores that will carry it in the meat section along with all the other steaks.
But the heart is less fatty than the other meat, which is one reason its used for fish.

If you cant find it in the meat section, try your local butcher. They will have some.

nomadofthehills

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Aquamojo;514262; said:
Not a good move. They don't eat it in the wild. Proper nutrition.....
Spoken form someone with a 17 year old midas, I think everyone should listen!

What do you feed normally mojo?

JeffLeMay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
Manchester, CT
i wouldn't even mess with it. feed quality dry food, like hikari or something like it, krill, blood worms, mine even likes algae pellets. i don't think beef heart is a good idea.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
nomadofthehills;514312; said:
Spoken form someone with a 17 year old midas, I think everyone should listen!

What do you feed normally mojo?

If I am looking for a meaty fod, I feed raw shrimp with shell...or scallops. I know there are people who feed beefheart. You can buy it frozen in cubes as fish food.

But to buy a two pound heart...with fat? Why? Doesn't make sense when there are so many good choices.

The Citrinellum, "Rocky", gets a varied diet. Since she is blind as a bat, I have to hand feed. That limits pellet feeding. I usually slice open a shrimp and stuff spirulina wafer in the center to make sure she is getting her veggies.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
since we're kind of on the topic, I've been toying with the idea of making my own home made fish food. I've seen recipes on other sites but can't remember which sites off hand so I'll pose the question...what would make a good home made fish food recipe to provide the best possible nutrition?

I was thinking I'd use something like:

--shrimp with shells
--scallops (since Mo mentioned them--btw, by spirulina wafers are you referring to wafers like one would feed to plecos)
--peas without shells (heard shells are bad for fish, any comments?) or some other type of greens to ensure proper digestion and that they're getting their veggies
--gelatin of some sort to hold the food somewhat together

I believe most people doing something like this mix all ingredients in a food processor and then dump the contents out onto a piece of wax paper where the mixture is flattened out and either cut into cubes or impressions are made for easy breaking apart after freezing.

any thoughts on the process or any other ingredients anyone would add (possibly some type of vitamin and if so what kind)? Mo, have you ever tried anything like this?

:nilly:

BloodThirsty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
Indiana
Aquamojo;514600; said:
If I am looking for a meaty fod, I feed raw shrimp with shell...or scallops. I know there are people who feed beefheart. You can buy it frozen in cubes as fish food.

But to buy a two pound heart...with fat? Why? Doesn't make sense when there are so many good choices.

The Citrinellum, "Rocky", gets a varied diet. Since she is blind as a bat, I have to hand feed. That limits pellet feeding. I usually slice open a shrimp and stuff spirulina wafer in the center to make sure she is getting her veggies.

Just regular store bought shrimp?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store