Question

Yojuan81

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2020
How long does it take for a female flowerhorn to completely drop her egg tube? Also how long after that will she be ready to lay egg's?

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
How long does it take for a female flowerhorn to completely drop her egg tube? Also how long after that will she be ready to lay egg's?
It can happen at any moment out of the day. It's pretty quick, they can drop their tube in under a minute sometimes. And as for the laying part you should notice it once it starts, they will do practice runs along wherever they choose to lay. Usually takes only a few minutes of practice runs before they actually start laying sometimes it takes longer, each fish is different. Also they can drop their egg tube without going into full breeding mode, usually they drop the tube, keep doing normal behavior and then the tube goes back inside after a bit. Just like with any other animal, sometimes they get a lil "excited" but they won't always act on it if that makes any sense.

Btw do you have a male already in with her? If so they should get the job done regardless of ya being there or not.

Yojuan81

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2020
It can happen at any moment out of the day. It's pretty quick, they can drop their tube in under a minute sometimes. And as for the laying part you should notice it once it starts, they will do practice runs along wherever they choose to lay. Usually takes only a few minutes of practice runs before they actually start laying sometimes it takes longer, each fish is different. Also they can drop their egg tube without going into full breeding mode, usually they drop the tube, keep doing normal behavior and then the tube goes back inside after a bit. Just like with any other animal, sometimes they get a lil "excited" but they won't always act on it if that makes any sense.

Btw do you have a male already in with her? If so they should get the job done regardless of ya being there or not.
Female tube started showing two day's ago. Today it was hanging down more about an hour ago her color started changing. I already have the male in with her divided. I keep doing play dates but their still being aggressive to each other(more of the female). My male is about seven inches and my female is about four or five inches. Things where a little different tonight they kind of was mildly aggressive to each other. I just don't want to wake up and I miss the opportunity to let them breed. My female is also taken trial runs inside they clay plate rubbing her belly and keeping it clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Female tube started showing two day's ago. Today it was hanging down more about an hour ago her color started changing. I already have the male in with her divided. I keep doing play dates but their still being aggressive to each other(more of the female). My male is about seven inches and my female is about four or five inches. Things where a little different tonight they kind of was mildly aggressive to each other. I just don't want to wake up and I miss the opportunity to let them breed. My female is also taken trial runs inside they clay plate rubbing her belly and keeping it clean.
Well just remember every fish is different. Some fish will just refuse to breed with a certain fish sometimes. Also when it comes to FH's it's honestly better to have the male be the more aggressive of the 2, this shows the female that the male is a worthy partner to pair up with because if she can beat him in a fight, so can any other fish. A female always wants an aggressive male because if he's not aggressive he won't protect the eggs/fry.

Granted just like allot of aggressive Cichlids ya got to be careful with introducing them, sometimes it's a match made in heaven, others it turns into a horror movie with all the blood and gore. It's not too uncommon for a fish to be just too aggressive and never pair up.

Just take your time with it and if it happens great, if not then o well, worst comes to worst ya just have to try again with a different pair or just try pairing them with a different fish.

Yojuan81

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2020
Well just remember every fish is different. Some fish will just refuse to breed with a certain fish sometimes. Also when it comes to FH's it's honestly better to have the male be the more aggressive of the 2, this shows the female that the male is a worthy partner to pair up with because if she can beat him in a fight, so can any other fish. A female always wants an aggressive male because if he's not aggressive he won't protect the eggs/fry.

Granted just like allot of aggressive Cichlids ya got to be careful with introducing them, sometimes it's a match made in heaven, others it turns into a horror movie with all the blood and gore. It's not too uncommon for a fish to be just too aggressive and never pair up.

Just take your time with it and if it happens great, if not then o well, worst comes to worst ya just have to try again with a different pair or just try pairing them with a different fish.
thank you greatly for the advice

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store