Question

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you want something that looks like a peacock bass in terms of shape and temperment, but don't get quite as large, look at the red form and wild form of Petenia splendida.
I agree with this, and especially if your tap water parameters are hard, and mineral rich.

It is very difficult to judge size by various aquarists viewpoints.
One aquarist might do only a once per week 50% water change, and thus have a smaller, slower growing specimen, than an aquarist that does 3 or 4, 40% water changes per week.
And although smaller, the aquarist that does only 1 water change per week might end up with a HITH chronically scarred individual as maturity sets in, as opposed to the 3 per week water change providing a totally healthy P-Bass.
One aquarist may provide perfect water parameters as far as mineral content, someone in another city, may not.

You may also consider that some literature may use "standard length" when quoting a size (not including the tail in the measurement), as opposed to "total length" which includes the tail, often an extra 6". And when providing for an aquarium specimen "Total Length" should be the criteria, not simple standard length.

One other thing to consider about water parameters.
P-bass have introduced to the hard waters of Lake Gatun in Panama and get about 1/3 smaller than the soft water Amazonian species.
But they were introduced around 1960 so have had 60+ years, and many generations to adapt to those foreign water parameters.
Consider how many died evolving to that adaptation.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
How aggressive are they the tank I have is 125 gallons and the fish I have in it are
Sailfin pleco
Green gerror
And 2 jack Dempseys
Would an African tiger scat work along with the snook
Not very aggressive. It would further overstock your currently overstocked tank (when all your fish are full grown).

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not very aggressive. It would further overstock your currently overstocked tank (when all your fish are full grown).
I also agree here.
I have kept Petenia and found them to be non-aggressive, with any fish they can't swallow.
But also agree about the over stocking Rocksor mentioned you will have as the fish become adults in your current tank.
And personally I believe a 125 gal tank is too small for even the smallest P-bass, and in the end would be too small for a full adult Petenia, which can reach 16".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store