Questions about cichlid hybrids

Michael Alebrtus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
I have no experience when it comes to breeding and I would like to ask couple of questions regarding parrot fish. I come across seller that have different varieties of parrot fish. These are the variations offered:

Yellow Tiger Parrot fish
db52e8_98abdb22586b4bfdb5c766e6d75c59c7_mv2.jpeg
Santa Parrot fish
maxresdefault.jpeg

I have some questions regarding these variations and maybe some experienced fish keeper can help to shed some light.
Q1. Are they a new parrotfish hybrid or just a dyed parrotfish?
Q2. If they are a new hybrid, what are the cichlid used to breed these variations?
Q3. Are they sterile like most parrot fish?
Q4. This question has nothing to do with parrot fish but having additional information is always nice. What is the offsprings from Green terror and blood parrot? Mind sharing more cichlid hybrids and their parents?

These are just the things I would like to know and hopefully some members on this forum can answer these questions. I believe this would be useful information to other fish keeper like me.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
1. Breed of parrot cichlids that have different colors than the typical ones. These have the genes for black, yellow, or white from their Midas/devil heritage.
2. Still Redhead x midevil, but likely some more midevil in there to get those colors.
3. Females are fertile to my knowledge, but males are almost always sterile (maybe 1 in a million).
4. I do not believe green terrors can hybridize with these guys. Most SA cichlid are unable to hybridize outside of genus (with some exceptions). I have only seen one example of gt hybrid with a CA and that was a convict (which breeds with everything).

Reactions: Michael Alebrtus

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store