Questions about my 10 gallon setup.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
From everything I've read it is a awesome plant to add to a setup for keeping nitrates and phosphates down.
Not the way you have them. These are terrestrial plants; having them fully submerged will only make them rot and foul up your water. You have to keep the leaves and most of the stems above water for them to survive (e.g. in my pic, you can see that only the roots and about 3" of the stems of my pothos trail down into the water on the left side of the tank).

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

VIPER006962948

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2012
West Frankfort Il, 62896
Not the way you have them. These are terrestrial plants; having them fully submerged will only make them rot and foul up your water. You have to keep the leaves and most of the stems above water for them to survive (e.g. in my pic, you can see that only the roots and about 3" of the stems of my pothos trail down into the water on the left side of the tank).

Ty its my first time using pothos

Tank Setup - 135gal, fx5, mag350, korilla 4, 3 silver dollars, 3 Red blood parrots, 12" Green severum, 10 coreys (3 emerald & 7 swarts), 2 black spotted eels, 22" fire eel, 24" clown knife, sun catfish, and leopard plaeco

J0ker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
New Jersey
Anubias nana would look nice... Maybe some bronze wendtii

Both low light plants would do nice in a 10 gallon

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Anubias nana would look nice... Maybe some bronze wendtii

Both low light plants would do nice in a 10 gallon
I already have an A. nana in the tank (it's hard to see in the pic, but it's tied to the fake driftwood thing on the right side of the tank, in front of the java ferns). I'll look into the wendtii, though; haven't heard of that one before.

J0ker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
New Jersey
I already have an A. nana in the tank (it's hard to see in the pic, but it's tied to the fake driftwood thing on the right side of the tank, in front of the java ferns). I'll look into the wendtii, though; haven't heard of that one before.

It is a small tank so I am not sure how many different types of plants you are looking to get, but in my humble opinion, 2 more anubias nana would look nice in the foreground - they can be planted in the substrate as long as you don't burry the rhyzome (not sure on the spelling)

Bronze Wendtii is a type of Crypt.

If you are looking for more of a stem plant, Rotala would be pretty easy to grow.

Hope this helps

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
So far, I haven't noticed any changes with the Java ferns, but the Anubias is doing well. With the Anacharis, for some reason the original parts of the plants are turning brown and dying off, but they all have about 3-6" of new, bright green growth, and two of them have rooted, so far. The sword didn't seem to be doing anything, growth-wise, in the 225, so I replanted it again in the 10 gallon (I've been using fertilizers in the 10 gal, but I can't really afford to fertilize the 225 for a single plant).

It is a small tank so I am not sure how many different types of plants you are looking to get, but in my humble opinion, 2 more anubias nana would look nice in the foreground - they can be planted in the substrate as long as you don't burry the rhyzome (not sure on the spelling)

Bronze Wendtii is a type of Crypt.

If you are looking for more of a stem plant, Rotala would be pretty easy to grow.

Hope this helps
I just want to fill it out a little bit better; it seems rather empty right now. And I've seen rotala at my lfs before, and they do look nice, but I thought they needed more light.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Went to the LFS yesterday and picked up some Rotala rotundifolia. They sold me about 20 individual plants as "1 bunch" for $2.50 (they were all rooted together, so I guess they just didn't want to take the time to separate them -- it took me about 5-10 minutes), so I think I got a pretty good deal. I separated them, cut them to produce more of them, since they were so tall that they covered half of the tank's surface, and planted them along the back of the tank. I also picked up some fertilizers a few days ago, so now I am dosing the tank with a CO2 liquid fertilizer and a potassium/iron fertilizer, both API brand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store