Questions about stocking

zookeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2019
Hello!
I have a pond that is about 7.5x7.5x2 ft deep with a small group of goldfish right now. I am located in northern virginia so it does freeze over for short periods in the winter. I would really like to add something like a longnose gar or bowfin, assuming my family is ok with the goldfish becoming food. If not, what are some ideas people have? There is not a ton of water movement, and it is covered about 50% with lily pads. I know sunfish are popular options, but they tend to hide away and are not very large.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello!
I have a pond that is about 7.5x7.5x2 ft deep with a small group of goldfish right now. I am located in northern virginia so it does freeze over for short periods in the winter. I would really like to add something like a longnose gar or bowfin, assuming my family is ok with the goldfish becoming food. If not, what are some ideas people have? There is not a ton of water movement, and it is covered about 50% with lily pads. I know sunfish are popular options, but they tend to hide away and are not very large.

Welcome aboard

Tbh I have zero experience with ponds but experienced members will respond.

zookeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2019
That's some great info, thanks! Anyone have input as to what species, (mentioned above or not) that would be a good option?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store