Quick Help!!!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ok nothing stands out to me in the pics, as you said (but i wanted to see for myself to be sure) :)

that being said, i don't think there is anything wrong with your fish. if there was something seriously wrong physically it would show in some way via the pics. is he still eating? don't worry about any worms or white things on the eyes...if it were anchor worms this would also show up in a pic. i think you're seeing typical tank platyhelminths and other such organisms, all of which are generally harmless. just keep the gar eating well for another few days and you can likely move him after that.

how long has the new tank been set up? what is the filtration, size, and tankmates in the new tank?--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
new tank is a 125g, temp set up till i can get my pond(bout a year) filtration is a fluval fx5. No tank mates at the moment but hoping for another gar or a ray. new tank has been set just over 1 month with guppies cycling it. and some ghost shrimp.
Keep him well fed for a few days then its ok to transfer him right?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2693311; said:
new tank is a 125g, temp set up till i can get my pond(bout a year) filtration is a fluval fx5. No tank mates at the moment but hoping for another gar or a ray. new tank has been set just over 1 month with guppies cycling it. and some ghost shrimp.
Keep him well fed for a few days then its ok to transfer him right?
make sure not to overload the new tank...you will be best off if you transfer most/all of the active media in the present tank into the filtration system of the new tank (or just put the sponges...or whatever your present media...over the intake or output of the new filter system, this will help colonize the new tank/media). if you don't do this and add a new fish too soon, you will quickly overpower the present bacteria in the new tank, especially since guppies can't really cycle a tank effectively for a large predator.--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
so true man.
thanks for the help, ill probably wait to transfer him untill next weekend.
moved a mossball to help get bacteria started in the new tank

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
looks great now. thanks for your help solomon.
Im gonna try to move him sometime soon(with in the week)
Im power feeding him then ill move him, maybe tomorrow.....hmmmm....
anyway i gave up on prepared for right now. He wont even pay attention to it

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
I honestly see nothing wrong but beware! Maybe what your seeing are infant Argulus hardly doubt it but just maybe

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
he is in his new tank! pics up later

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store