Quick Question About Pond Costs...

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Hello everyone, I'm highly interested in creating my own pond. However, my biggest concern are monthly costs for filter and heater. I'm not worried about dropping a decent amount of money to build the pond. However, I am more worried about the monthly cost of the aquarium. I know that by keeping it indoors is a huge benefit for reducing the need of a heater. I'm considering all options.

For people who have decent sized ponds, can you please state your size and monthly cost for running filter and heater? Also listing the area you live in would be helpful as well.

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
The filter doesn’t cost much ... the heating depends on where you are and the weather. Indoors in the UK I didn’t notice too much of a difference between running the pond and all my tanks. Outdoors in Australia way back or more recently in Florida it probably cost even less. Also depends on the size of the pond too ...
But ponds can be cheap .... a 1000g stock tank can be less then $500

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
The filter doesn’t cost much ... the heating depends on where you are and the weather. Indoors in the UK I didn’t notice too much of a difference between running the pond and all my tanks. Outdoors in Australia way back or more recently in Florida it probably cost even less. Also depends on the size of the pond too ...
But ponds can be cheap .... a 1000g stock tank can be less then $500
I’ve been reading that filter costs aren’t that extreme. However, I’d still like some insight to how much monthly. Some people say they don’t notice it affecting their bills, while I’m a little skeptical. Do you think monthly costs for just a 1,000 gallon filter range around $20 - $50? I know heaters are extremely expensive

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If your concerned why not just run it to a few solar panels, also heating can be more or less depending on insulation,

Reactions: davemal

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Honestly a lot of it depends on your climate and power company. You could easily run a filter pump for $10 a month but the pump will cost $1200. Yet a $50 pump might only cost $45 a month. So many variables.... it’s heatingas you know that can really cost big $

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Honestly a lot of it depends on your climate and power company. You could easily run a filter pump for $10 a month but the pump will cost $1200. Yet a $50 pump might only cost $45 a month. So many variables.... it’s heatingas you know that can really cost big $
Insulate, insulate,insulate!

Reactions: davemal

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Heating a pond is a one off cost, after that its heat loss that costs you. As viper says insulate , also if you dont stock heavily you dont need a big pump.

Jaymesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Daytona Beach fl
650g outdoor tropical fish pond to make cost 30$ I use 12watt pump to water fall basin the surface of waterfall and live plants are my filters and what a heater lol it's 98 outside wright now in Fl

0414191612.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store