Quick question

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I had my two Oscars spawn, they're in quarantine and thought both are female. Attached is a photo of the eggs. This is end of day two, I see some white ones but there are a few look like black on them. I think they're no good cause thought both were female. Does anyone think they could be a pair?

IMG_20210219_223934~2.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had my two Oscars spawn, they're in quarantine and thought both are female. Attached is a photo of the eggs. This is end of day two, I see some white ones but there are a few look like black on them. I think they're no good cause thought both were female. Does anyone think they could be a pair?

View attachment 1451974
Did you seperate the Adults from the eggs? Normally the eggs would be a tan or light brown color If fertile.

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
hard to tell from photo but the eggs don't look valid to me, will probably develop fungus. You are most likely right about them being female, often two females will breed. I have even had single females lay eggs alone with no other fish.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
hard to tell from photo but the eggs don't look valid to me, will probably develop fungus. You are most likely right about them being female, often two females will breed. I have even had single females lay eggs alone with no other fish.
Thanks, I guess time will tell. I was going to move the rock but they both peeved and it's pretty heavy. Now these were going to go in my 180 instead of the true parrot, I don't think be a good idea if they spawn all the time. Be digging up and chasing others.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Did you seperate the Adults from the eggs? Normally the eggs would be a tan or light brown color If fertile.
No eggs with them, it was just weird seeing the eggs as I have seen lots of spawns. Usually I've planned and seen the eggs. My parrot lays eggs for my hybrid SRM all the time and always duds. Just looked different tis all

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
A lot of female fish will lay eggs even without the presence of a male. Just part of the natural life cycle. I've never had a oscar that didn't dig and mess up my tank, it's part of their "charm". As for the eggs take it as they are healthy and happy. Get some sort of catfish or dither that the oscars won't demolish and the eggs will provide a nice snack if they continue to lay.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Agree with twentyleagues twentyleagues
I’ve had females of several species still solo spawn, if no valid male was present.
Of course the eggs just fungus over and had to be removed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store