R.I.P. A.T.F.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I managed to kill my ATF that I've had since last August. I did a 100gal gravel wash on his 300gal tank and set the hose to refill it. I then went on to clean a dozen filters and feed out the fish room. When I finished feeding out, I left the fishroom (notice I didn't say I turned the hose off). I turned the hose on at 4:30PM. At close to 9PM, I went to do the dishes. When I turned the water on the pressure was way low. I'm thinking; "Why is the pressure low?" just as I realized what I did. I ran to the fish building (which had water streaming from under the door) and opened it to what looked like a migration of minnows (feeders). I started netting up feeders and didn't see until I got to the other side of the tank that my ATF had apparently swam the crest of the high water level onto the floor. He was past saving.
Later, I rigged up a brass nozzle on a long length of red wire. Anytime I even think of touching the hose, this nozzle will be hung over the entry door. When I turn the water off is when the nozzle can be removed.

The smaller ATF is a DOA the larger one replaced. The difference in size represents 10 months of growth in a 300gal.

tflength.jpg

tfpair.jpg

tfheadsm.jpg

View attachment 1095641

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Sorry about your loss, Phil. :(

I'm always messing up stuff when I try to multi-task while doing water changes. My house is only three years old and the carpet looks like it's been through several flood events. :(

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Buddah101: Don't know how big they get in captivity. Estimates are around 3ft. Maybe my last one will be a good prospect for an answer.
Hate losing this guy. Would have really hated losing his tankmates (2ft albino P aethiopicus and a 15-16" Panaque nigrolineatus).

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
wow, even wholesale-level keepers like oddball make their mistakes... looks like you got a solid solution for this problem though.

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
sorry .... love tha fish......

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
holy cow, I can't blame you though, you have soooo many tanks. I did something similar to my 20g once but not nearly as disasterous (only flooded my floor, no fish death).

zongling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
my condolences friend.. I lost my 8 pieces of ST ard 9" overnight when changing tank.. haiz.. i understand how u feel.. Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store