R.I.P Silver

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Love the tank too. Very unusual and cool looking.

When you say rock salt, is it the same as table salt sodium chloride?

100 US gal = 378.5 kg = 378,500 g
30 tbspn =~ 150 g ... depends on how fine the particles are, their shape, how packed the powder is, etc., so could be more...

(150 / 378,500) x 1 million = 400 ppm of added salinity (this is in addition to your natural salinity in your source water)

Low end of brackish seems to begin at 1000 ppm so this is indeed unlikely to be brackish.

The historical data seem conflicting, with older school saying that there is usually nothing wrong with having a bit of salt in water all the time while there are some health benefits.

New school says yes, there are short term benefits but this leads to a long term stress build up and will eventually result in illnesses and premature deaths.

Like you yourself speculate on the possible difference between the silver dats harvested from freshwater and from brackish water and their long-term potential in our freshwater tanks.

I understand you are aiming to walk a thin invisible line... Interested to see what you find. Do you have a thread where you'd report your observations over time all in one place?

It’s those 100% natural water softener/sodium chloride. 40 lb bag is about $6 a Bag from Home Depot/Lowe’s. The rock salt looks to be a medium coarse size. I’m not using a refractometer atm, but maybe I should. It’s just a simple procedure of 3 cups in to start, 50% waterchange, then 1.5 cups back in to the tank. Voila!!! Lol

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store