Rabbit snail eggs, but how?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Your description of lights out/on activity sounds like mts to me. They are live bearing pests. The larger snail in the first pic doesn’t look like an mts. Second is to blurry.
Use a small glass jar or plate and leave an algae wafer on/in after lights out. Check it after an hour or so for snails and that will help confirm.
I have the light off and used two cut solo cups inside eachother with algae wafers for bait and rocks for weight and then a tiny cut so the tiny snails can get in and then in a few hours I’ll take it out and check if there’s any inside

Reactions: fishguy1978

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I was able to find and net some and put them in a little container with tank water and algae for food
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Those are mts.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Their bodies are dark like my rabbit snail and have the same color patterns ( the larger two anyway
Well if you don't have two rabbits then they are not rabbits. Rabbit snails are male or female not either and not both you need one of each. Probably mts.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although many have called these snails pests, I don't perceive them that way.
You don't see them much during the day, because they tend to bury themselves in the substrate until dark, rummaging around, which is somewhat helpful in keeping substrate from going anoxic, providing just enough oxygen within to hold much more beneficial bacteria than when anoxic.
I also find the eat nuisance algae, but allow more desirable algae to grow (I happen to like certain types of algae)
They also break down organic material that can be more easily used by beneficial bacteria (or plants if you have them), and are a normal part of the natural aquatic habitat.
1671543524147.png1671543545319.png1671543567717.png
The only problem I have with them, is they can place themselves between impellers and the volute of pumps, and getting caught.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Although many have called these snails pests, I don't perceive them that way.
You don't see them much during the day, because they tend to bury themselves in the substrate until dark, rummaging around, which is somewhat helpful in keeping substrate from going anoxic, providing just enough oxygen within to hold much more beneficial bacteria than when anoxic.
I also find the eat nuisance algae, but allow more desirable algae to grow (I happen to like certain types of algae)
They also break down organic material that can be more easily used by beneficial bacteria (or plants if you have them), and are a normal part of the natural aquatic habitat.
View attachment 1509209View attachment 1509210View attachment 1509211
The only problem I have with them, is they can place themselves between impellers and the volute of pumps, and getting caught.
In my 40g I have live plants and recently scraped and dried algae from the wall, is it possible I collected some eggs in the algae that somehow survived being in the dehydrator and when I dropped that in my 75 maybe they hatched

Reactions: fishguy1978

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some snail eggs are pretty amazing, and can sit inert, dry, or even freeze, then hatch out when conditions are right.
My ponds in Wisconsin used to freeze solid to the substrate, for 3 months in winter, and snails (among other similarly primitive critters would appear every spring.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Not to detract from the original thread but will a pair of yoyo loaches eradicate a snail population or just pick off the easy targets?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store