Raid Area 51

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Considering the way Zuckerberg started the whole thing, I'm amazed that women use facebook at all.
In it's original form it was a huge invasion of privacy, and almost certainly the most objectifying digital abuse of women in history. When his sexist pandering went viral, he became untouchably wealthy.

How do people not know this?

I think he's a misguided geek with a big brain, and some sick baggage he can't shed. Because of that he may well become a pariah.
I don’t remember hearing anything about this. Did he use it to stalk girls or something?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
They made a movie about the beginnings of FB. Don't recall the title, but it started as Facemash.

From wikipedia:
FaceMash
, Facebook's predecessor, opened in 2003. Developed by Mark Zuckerberg, he wrote the software for the Facemash website when he was in his second year of college. The website was set up as a type of "hot or not" game for Harvard students. The website allowed visitors to compare two female student pictures side-by-side and let them decide who was hot or not.[9]

While writing the software, Mark Zuckerberg wrote the following blog entries:[10]

I'm a little intoxicated, not gonna lie. So what if it's not even 10 pm and it's a Tuesday night? What? The Kirkland dormitory facebook is open on my desktop and some of these people have pretty horrendiedous facebook pics. I almost want to put some of these faces next to pictures of some farm animals and have people vote on which is more attractive.
— 2:49 pm
Yea, it's on. I'm not exactly sure how the farm animals are going to fit into this whole thing (you can't really ever be sure with farm animals ...), but I like the idea of comparing two people together.
— 11:10 am"
In Vino Veritas
The guy's a sleeze.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I think the movie was called Social Network or something like that. Never saw it but I remember seeing previews for it.
Honestly if that's the worst he's said/done then I don't think that would even put him in the top 10 of sleazy famous people. May be in poor taste, but I've seen a lot worse. Look at how much of a pedestal Steve Jobs was put on for his tech creations. And yet if you ever read the book about him or seen the documentary on him, the guy was a complete D'bag that no one could get along with, and even left his pregnant girlfriend high and dry simply because she was carrying his child and that was going to interfere with his career.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Considering the way Zuckerberg started the whole thing, I'm amazed that women use facebook at all.
In it's original form it was a huge invasion of privacy, and almost certainly the most objectifying digital abuse of women in history. When his sexist pandering went viral, he became untouchably wealthy.

How do people not know this?

I think he's a misguided geek with a big brain, and some sick baggage he can't shed. Because of that he may well become a pariah.
It's ironic that a socially awkward person who had trouble communicating with his peers at college created something that now almost controls how a large proportion of humanity communicates.

Reactions: jaws7777

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Haha, hot or not. I remember when when my sister and friends were trying to get me on that. So dumb. My sister is now married to a guy she met on there. Before him was a major jerk I can’t believe she spent time with. Yuck.

I haven’t watched any of the shows/docs about social media creators. It does make sense that they have been started my socially awkward people. Everything about it gives you the freedom to not face people in real life. And then you have those catfish people who pose as someone else altogether. Haha

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Catfish people?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Catfish people?
People who make accounts using someone else’s pictures(stealing them without permission normally) and pretending to be that person.
There is a show on mtv called catfish that helps people find out who they are really tanking to. It’s sad to see people who get feelings for someone who isn’t “real” and being crushed. It’s also shocking to see how many guys pose as girls and vise versa.

Reactions: BichirKing

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
To a lot of basically incapable people, it is an enormous feeling of power to "put one over" on other people.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
It's ironic that a socially awkward person who had trouble communicating with his peers at college created something that now almost controls how a large proportion of humanity communicates.
Not just communicates, but thinks and votes, as well.

Some IT guys claim that FB and Google have 10x the influence of the Russians or Chinese, over our elections. It's not about foreign spies. It's all about American Mass marketing expertise married to modern computer science methods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store