Rainbow cichlid fry

Stoneyturtle420

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2020
Richmond Virginia
so i just had my rainbow cichlids spawn eggs and was thinking of raising the fry to trade off to local stores or sources. Any kind of advice for the fry is greatly appreciated, currently in a 20 gallon hexagon cause the parents don't play nice with any of my other fish at all, running a 40 gallon sponge filter to help keep levels good with a white sand substrate

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
so i just had my rainbow cichlids spawn eggs and was thinking of raising the fry to trade off to local stores or sources. Any kind of advice for the fry is greatly appreciated, currently in a 20 gallon hexagon cause the parents don't play nice with any of my other fish at all, running a 40 gallon sponge filter to help keep levels good with a white sand substrate
Grow them to a identifiable size and cull the bad fry .

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Deformed fry and runts if you want only the best ones.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Fry should be fed as many small meals per day as possible, I would often do 4 or 5, feedings on grow out tanks, and allow algae to grow in those fry tanks to provide in between meal grazing. In nature multispinossa spawn on flooded grasslands in Costa Rica, so fry have a constant supply of algae, detritus insect larvae and other stuff to eat.
Below are 1" multispinossa fry, maybe 2 months old.

At the above stage, probably still too small to be acceptable to LFSs.
They may need to be more like the size below, As Tom said, actually recognizable as species, and sellable, about two months older than the 1st pic.

Beside multiple meals, you may need to do daily water changes on the grow out tank, to promote growth, and keep water quality high enough to keep them healthy.

Stoneyturtle420

Exodon
MFK Member
May 7, 2020
Richmond Virginia
I feed the fry 3 times a day, have a growing bristlenose pleco in with them that does algae cleanup in the tank, but so far they seem to be growing pretty well had to move some over to the parents tank when I got them all situated, alot of them hit a big growth spurt it seemed like because alot of em grew in size practically over night

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store