Rainbow cichlid - pretty bad injury

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
No idea how the injury may have happened. Good that the fish continues to eat, and act reasonably well. I would guess it has a good chance of full recovery, to become a legendary one-eye, one-faceside icon of lore and tales. Challenge is to keep secondary infections out of the open wound for the time being. Good luck!
? that’s my hope!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I was just looking over the stocking, it could have been the silver dollars. I’ve never seen and rarely heard of them being aggressive, but they may attack when scared, and they’ve got teeth. They certainly have the capability to take the face off of a fish.

Reactions: EntoStentor

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Keep us updated on the progress of this fish please. I am extremely interested to see how it fairs. Hope it makes it.

Reactions: Deadeye
I was just looking over the stocking, it could have been the silver dollars. I’ve never seen and rarely heard of them being aggressive, but they may attack when scared, and they’ve got teeth. They certainly have the capability to take the face off of a fish.
I was going to say that as well. The bite marks would seem to match up as well, especially compared to an oscar bite.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Got any pics of those silvers?

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Possible - two of them are larger than the rainbow

Keep us updated on the progress of this fish please. I am extremely interested to see how it fairs. Hope it makes it.
Thank you- i will continue updating for sure

I was going to say that as well. The bite marks would seem to match up as well, especially compared to an oscar bite.
?? Yeah I just can’t match that up to the Oscar but who knows

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Nice dollars, I really love the tiger stripe ones!
I was half expecting one of them to wind up being a pacu. If only the answer is that simple.

Keep an eye on everything to see if the attacker strikes again.
Keep the rainbow happy and healthy!

Reactions: biguebs

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Well I was able to witness the rainbow eating on 3 consecutive attempts going back to the video I posted from last night.

I keep forgetting to mention that I did add salt to this tank the day after I saw the damage to this fish. I went with 2 pounds of the API salt I had around from a bout with ich last year. I haven’t added more and have been doing a gravel vac every other day for a total of about 10-15% change. Did a 50% change before adding the salt. Water temp has remained unchanged at 78 degrees.

I thought it’s worth mentioning if someone comes upon this thread down the road and was weighing options and especially on the off shot that this fish pulls through. Appreciate all the input from everyone, I will continue to update.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store