Rainbow Fish, are they tough enough?

A

AquaAlex1993

I'm thinking about adding a small school of rainbow fish as dithers to give the cichlids fish to chase so they don't go after each other. The cichlids are of course severum, chocolate, green terror, and geophagus. Tank is going to be a 6' footer.
I like the red rainbows and the Australian ones when they are larger but are they tough enough to be dithers?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would say no. Still can use them but won't last long. Consider some roseline barbs, teardrop barbs, filament barbs and etc.

Or used them prior and did well but not against cichlids. But i imagine they would fare well and better than rainbow fish.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I have used reds as dither with fish of the types you mentioned and it worked fine in a 6 foot tank. There are better options, as suggested above.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I have used filament barbs with those fishes in same 6 foots long tank and it's worked fine since other fishes ignore them for the most part... :p the issue you will face that barbs are greedy eater, they will consume pretty much 75% food before other fish get their share especially Geos is a damn slow eater. So pretty much you will over feed most of the time and that would lead to water quality issue. Also, rainbow fish would look better in planted tank rather than in a cichlid tank as dither fish.

BugFreak72

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2017
I have a couple rainbows and don't think they could put up with larger fish. When I had my big Pacu I kept giant danios that he could have easily gulped up but didn't. You might try them.

Reactions: tlindsey

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Giant danios at adult size work great very fast so nobody can catch them Most cichlids will ignore them with their constant swimming after a while. Plus they are fun to watch inter mingle with each other.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
I'm thinking about adding a small school of rainbow fish as dithers to give the cichlids fish to chase so they don't go after each other. The cichlids are of course severum, chocolate, green terror, and geophagus. Tank is going to be a 6' footer.
I like the red rainbows and the Australian ones when they are larger but are they tough enough to be dithers?
I can't see a problem with red rainbows as divers I've used them before with midas, Salvini, convicts etc, and they are always active and can reach 12-15 cm so are not at risk of predation even though the fish u have aren't particularly aggressive anyway if

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I can't see a problem with red rainbows as divers I've used them before with midas, Salvini, convicts etc, and they are always active and can reach 12-15 cm so are not at risk of predation even though the fish u have aren't particularly aggressive anyway if
I agree.Never kept rainbows personally and I like my dithers to come from the same place as my cichlids.
My dad has used them a lot with smaller central American cichlids and never had any issues.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store