Raised glass wall around my pond

wild1

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2020
Hi, First I would like to apologise up front if this post is not relevant, too long or to simple. I am a complete newby here and this is my first post. I have a home with an open central courtyard, I have had a koi pond installed, the dimensions are 12 feet long, 8 feet wide and is currently 1.5 feet deep. The depth is too shallow because my contractor screwed up and then ran away.
I want to increase the depth by building a glass or plexiglass wall all around the perimeter about 1.5 feet high. This will give 1.5 feet of water below the transparent walls and 1.5 feet above.
My questions are, should I do this with glass or acrylic? what thickness should this be? finally is it even possible to do this? If can be done safely then how do I do it?
I think it will look super nice with transparent walls all around even if they are not high.
Can someone offer any advice please.
I am in Malaysia and I can post images if required.
Thank you.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Are you going to be okay with sectioned walls? Meaning that it would not be a fully transparent wall in that you will likely have supports every so many feet.

I would look at digging deeper compared to ordering acrylic. Just my 2 cents.

wild1

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2020
Hi and many thanks for your reply. Actually I would rather not have supports unless really thin. I measured today I am looking at a transparent wall height of 12 inches but the water would be 3 inches from the top.
Digging deeper is out of the question, there is a small island in the middle and it has all been fibreglassed. Building a wall is an option but would not look nice. A transparent wall would look awesome even at 12 inches high but I still need advice and direction before I proceed. It is a project under study you might say.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Suggest you visit Koiphen if you want some serious (fanatical) Koi advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store