Raising a EBJD and Oscar together? Growth rates, bad idea?

pocky

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 3, 2017
No soaking required. As for the EBJD if its eating thats good. I would just observe at feeding time that EBJD is getting something wouldn't want you to jeopardize water quality over feeding.
Yeah I'm already a bit worried I'm overfeed. Sometimes the oscar doesn't notice the food until it's on the bottom of the tank. Eventualyl he seems to eat it all though. I think I'm going to do a water change every other day.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
they should do ok together, hopefully the EBJD is a strong strain. do to the fact that they are a mutation, other health issues crop up some times.

Reactions: tlindsey

pocky

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 3, 2017
they should do ok together, hopefully the EBJD is a strong strain. do to the fact that they are a mutation, other health issues crop up some times.
They seem to be buddies so far. EBJD was a little bit scared to eat from the top because the O was up there. But when he went for some food at the top the O didn't seem to care that he had to share food. Hopefully the O doesn't grow super fast and decide to eat his friend.

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada

very true, but understatement! I have seen more EBJDs just randomly drop dead (or bloat and then drop dead) between 2" and 3" than just about any other fish. We sell them at the LFS when we're able to get them in, probably 75% - 90% of them are reported dead within the next few months. (of course I don't know anything about their living situations after they leave our tanks, but still it is a very high death rate)

Addicted to Cichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
very true, but understatement! I have seen more EBJDs just randomly drop dead (or bloat and then drop dead) between 2" and 3" than just about any other fish. We sell them at the LFS when we're able to get them in, probably 75% - 90% of them are reported dead within the next few months. (of course I don't know anything about their living situations after they leave our tanks, but still it is a very high death rate)
I have had 5 all with pristine water conditions, all died at different times. Got a few from one lfs one from another 100 miles away, one from a petco. All died around 4" with no other losses, tried treating half of them even tho there were no signs of anything, eventually gave up. Neat fish but not worth $30 if they will only live a few months, unless you get a lucky survivor.

for $5 i could see getting 20 on the chance you might get a few that will live, for the $25-30 i have seen them for hell no

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
He is so little!
For how much ebjd cost this isn't a gamble I would have gone with.
I would add more cover in the tank. Give the little guy more hiding spots that as the oscar grows he can retreat to.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

pocky

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 3, 2017
He is so little!
For how much ebjd cost this isn't a gamble I would have gone with.
I would add more cover in the tank. Give the little guy more hiding spots that as the oscar grows he can retreat to.
He was $19 Canadian, so $13USD? I got him a local bigals. He was in a tank with 10 others. He was one of the most colourful. There was another that was a bit bigger but he was aggresively chasing around his tankmates and I didn't want him.

I'm more concerned he dies later and then the oscar is left without a buddy. I originally wanted a red or gold severum but the LFS's didn't have any, so I just said screw it I'll gamble an EBJD.

I'm going to be moving them to a 90gal maybe next week. The 90gal was heavily planted but I removed a lot of the plants. It'll have a piece of driftwood, java fern, and a few other plants. They might rip them up when they get bigger but when they're small they can hide.

The tank also has a 4-5inch albino BN pleco and 5 adult cories. I'll monitor closely to see if the oscar seems to show any interest in eating the cories. Though they're the same size as him right now.

Reactions: J. H.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh that's not so bad I guess. Here they are $30-and up for little 1".
Hopefully he is a strong one. The weak genes are another reason I'll likely never have one. They are beautiful fish, but I get too attached.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store