raising temp

marcos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
n/a
this is probably a dumb question but I have never really thought about it, I realize if you change the water temp to fast like in a water change you may kill some beneficial bacteria but wait if you raised it over night about ten degrees will it do the same because I want to change over my girlfriends goldfish tank and put some dwarf puffers in without having to worry about water quality

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I would take the goldfish out, and thoroughly clean the tank, and start over. Simple as that. This includes cycling, and keep the tank heated at the optimum temp you want it at, which is probably in the 76-78 range.

brettonstein

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
plaistow
dude I would change the water n gravel 98% of all fish diseases come from u guessed it goldfish plus puffers r the least hearty fish out their

marcos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
n/a
I was going to change everything water and gravel I was worried about the filter and im not really worried about disiese these are probably some of the best kept goldfish out there

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Perhaps they are some of the healthiest goldfish out there. My golfball pearlscale is awesome, too, but fish have different requirements, and changing water and filter media, etc, should ALREADY be a regular occurrence. Empty everything, give everything a great wash, and you're good to go.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
If I'm reading this correctly, you have dwarf puffers that you want to place in a tank that currently houses your goldfish? If your goldfish are healthy and disease free there is no need to replace everything in the tank. Just take out the goldfish, slowly raise the temp (what is the current and desired future temp BTW) over the course of a day or night and then place the puffers in it. Your bacteria should be fine.

marcos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
n/a
sandtiger;733649; said:
If I'm reading this correctly, you have dwarf puffers that you want to place in a tank that currently houses your goldfish? If your goldfish are healthy and disease free there is no need to replace everything in the tank. Just take out the goldfish, slowly raise the temp (what is the current and desired future temp BTW) over the course of a day or night and then place the puffers in it. Your bacteria should be fine.
thats exactly what I wanted to do thank you! I just didn't want to kill the bacteria because dwarf puffers are really sensitive to ammonia and nitrite
(the current temp is 72 and I want it at 80)

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I've taken tanks with established filters from a lower temperature to a higher temperature without any ill effects.

I've also taken established filters from tropical tanks and used them on a coolwater tank, I don't think the bacteria die that easily.

If you're worried about it just raise the temperature slowly.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I don't feel it is necessary to break it all down either but if you did you could always add a small pack of bio spira to the tank and speed up/boost your bio good luck with your switch over

spds31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2007
Pennsylvania
Raising the temp quickly will not kill the bacteria. They are much more resilient than people give them credit for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store