Raising Worms

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I order nightcrawlers for my catfish. They love them. During the spring, summer and autumn I just harvest worms from the yard - much easier and price can't be beat. We don't use pesticides or anything so it's safe.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I've cultured and fed red wigglers (AKA composting worms) for years. I have mostly new world cichlids but any fish who can eat worms / high protein food can eat them.

The size of the culture bin (rubbermaid) is one of the constraining factors in their culture rate. They can double in a month in warm weather and with lots of food. They take a month or so to settle down and reproduce.

Red wigglers reproduce and are much easier, in my experience, than nightcrawlers or other worms.

I haven't bought live or frozen food in years...

Matt

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Just to throw it out there and say something completely wacky guys, but worms live in the ground. With a bit of effort you can get as many as your fish can eat, in a very short space of time.......for FREE!!!!! I know, it's ridiculous isn't it.
So what is your technique for jan and fed worm harvest?

1. Sholve the snow?
2. How do you break through the frozen ground?
3. How far is the ground frozen? It has been between -7 to 10 degrees F around here since dec 8, 2017.
4. How deep woild i have to dig?

Bwah ha ha ha!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So what is your technique for jan and fed worm harvest?

1. Sholve the snow?
2. How do you break through the frozen ground?
3. How far is the ground frozen? It has been between -7 to 10 degrees F around here since dec 8, 2017.
4. How deep woild i have to dig?

Bwah ha ha ha!
Haha, i like your way of thinking. If the grounds frozen, or it's covered in snow or it's p*ssing it down then the worms get to live another day, simples. I only feed my fish worms as a rare treat anyway but whichever way you look at it i would never never never pay for worms. God man, fish food is expensive enough as it is.

Reactions: eddiegunks

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Just to throw it out there and say something completely wacky guys, but worms live in the ground. With a bit of effort you can get as many as your fish can eat, in a very short space of time.......for FREE!!!!! I know, it's ridiculous isn't it.
My yard gets treated for spiders and ants as well as the grass chemicals and fertilization. I have always been hesitant to feed worms from my ground for this reason. Not sure if those chemicals have any affect on the worms or not.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store