Rams

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Would love to do a german ram planted. How does a 30 gal planted with just a pair and some gobies sound? More rams? No gobies? I wouldn't want the rams to beat up any of the gobies, but I figure with enough hiding places theyd be alright. Opinions?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA

t0p_sh0tta

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
Connecticut
The rams aren't aggressive at all, well at least not until they start breeding. That said, they'll flare and chase other fish, but I wouldn't expect them to do much damage.

I started with 5 juvies in a 20 long, and ended up with 2 pairs. With a couple of dithers, they did just fine (it was heavily planted, with good separation between the 2 sides).

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Had the same idea, but I couldn't keep a pair alive in my planted tank. I'm guessing it was the high ph because everything else was good.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Not many plants do well in the elvated temps the rams require to do well though.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
depends on what gobies you want, the only goby i'd chance would be peacock gugeons since others can be aggressive depending on the individual

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Huh. I keep java fern, various anubis, crypt wendtii, some floating plants and another plant that I forgot the name of in 79-82 degree water. I didn't know you couldn't keep plants in high temp water.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store