Ran out of water!!!! Help

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Many well water tables are overused by farming scenarios,so many aquifers are running dry or low from over draft,another thing to look out for with well water is high salinity

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Many well water tables are overused by farming scenarios,so many aquifers are running dry or low from over draft,another thing to look out for with well water is high salinity

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
The 55 gallon storage sounds like a really good idea. The fire station here is on a well, they must have a very good spring because they always let people come in and take water. I did 4 out of my 6 water changes today, I will do the 210 gallon tomorrow and the 140 gallon on Thursday. I am going to look for those containers with wheels so I don’t have a mental breakdown if this happens again:) Thank you so much everyone!!

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
My well is 530ft deep but when someone moved diagonally across the street our water started to not replenish as fast:( Another issue in this area is that the water company Poland Springs
( bottled water) is not too far so I do believe that has had an impact on our water supply.

I don’t know about salinity in the water but it has not impacted any of my eels or inverts so I am guessing it’s ok, I hope!!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I think the product link fishhead provided will be difficult to move when full of water since it only has 2 wheels and will need to be tipped a bit to move it.

I used the gray 32 Gallon Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute container and bought the dolly to transport water and it worked great though you still needed to be careful moving it. I also only filled it to just below the handle otherwise water would slosh out of it.

Since you have 7 tanks and at least 2 of them are over 140 gallons, using cans, totes or barrels is really a stop gap plan and can take the 'fun' out of water changes. You may want to consider one of those caged square plastic totes to store outdoors or in a basement and rig up a float assembly to keep it filled.

Long term, consulting a local well driller may be helpful but not cheap. Your well screen can be plugged or you may need to have the well drilled deeper. The new home near you and the water bottling plant are possibly tapped into the same aquifer so there may be no easy answer.

You may also be able to reduce your weekly water change on specific tanks by testing for elevated nitrate levels.

Last edited:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ahh, I had forgotten about those deeda, thank you for mentioning those. If op wanted to, I'm guessing he could take off the wheels, make a diy plug to put where the wheels were so it's flat now and then make/buy a wheeled platform to move the 500 pounds of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store