RARE Black Ghost Knives

RichyBGK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Newcastle, England
on our suppliers list i've notice they have bgk's but also "blushing bgk's" I haven't enquired about these "blushing" ones but maybe I should.
I'd DEFINATLEY have a black/white marbled pattern one aslong as it's not been altered by humans!!
I'm not doubting the credibilty of the marbled photo's but are you sure they haven't been photoshopped?
They're stunning :D , thanks for sharing :)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
RichyBGK;2102515; said:
on our suppliers list i've notice they have bgk's but also "blushing bgk's" I haven't enquired about these "blushing" ones but maybe I should.
I'd DEFINATLEY have a black/white marbled pattern one aslong as it's not been altered by humans!!
I'm not doubting the credibilty of the marbled photo's but are you sure they haven't been photoshopped?
They're stunning :D , thanks for sharing :)
No, they werent photoshopped.. they were a rare fish published in one of the MFK books - you can find the original pix in Neoprodigy's book store.

They are breeding them like that in asia, just like the blushing ones.. however, "blushing" fish IMO are unhealthy fish just like pearlscale goldfish.. they do something to the water to create this effect - The area around their gill plates becomes a very dark red, making it look like they are 'blushing'.. My store got in some blushing longfin goldskirt tetras. To me, it looks more like ammonia damage than a coloration trait..

RichyBGK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Newcastle, England
Thanks for that info Miles, much appreciated :)
I'm always dubious about some of the common names suppliers give out as you never know if it's just a rename to hype sales up, happens alot.
Have you heard of many "marble"(my terminology) colouration ones being found and if so, WHERE :naughty:
I'd imagine they will be stupidly priced :eek:
Not sure where Neoprodigy's book store is but i'll have look about unless you have a link :D

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Haven't seen any marble or white knives in the states, other than I think oddball imported some and they might be in his photo thread in the photo lounge..

I went and tried to find the pix again, if you look in the vendor section there is a "Neo Book Store" (mfk owner) and he sells the originol MonsterFishKeeper books.. that is where the one calico pic knife was pulled..

I guarantee its from selective breeding (those asian breeders are pretty crafty) and the fact that they probably were spawning BGK with hormones 10-15 years ago.. they grow out the ones from each batch with the most dominate white stripes and re-breed them over and over to get new color morphs - just like any other 'morph' animal like leopard gecko, corn snakes, albino bichirs, etc, etc..

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Wow, those marble knives are really cool!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
heres Oddballers white ghost knives..

How much did they want for the 'blushing' ghost knives? If the price is high, I bet it is the white knives with these rosy cheeks.

whitebgk.JPG

whitebgk2.jpg

whitebgk3.jpg

RichyBGK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Newcastle, England
I honestly can't remember what price they were, don't think it was high as I'd remember if there was much difference. I'll be popping in tomorrow so I'll have a look at the price list.
It's late here now and having a good drink so i'll read the rest tomorrow and reply if need be :D

P.S. Newt, please remember, "marbled" is just what I called them. I don';t know what they proper name is, if any, they are called by :)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Marbled.. Calico.. I am sure they have an asian translation term for it, but it's just a common name since it's not a species in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store