rarer chitala species in captivity?

predatorpassion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Hi,

well I have been looking around and found that the only chitala "featherfin" knifefish are royals, and clowns (I love those fishes! :drool: :D ) but was wondering if anyone has/ or has seen these chitala "featherfins" in captivity

chitala ornata/ spotted featherback

chitala lopis/ giant featherback

and this isn't in the chitala family

notopterus notopterus/ grey featherback

I'm not looking at purchasing these or anything but just wondering if they have ever been seen in the home aquaria

thanks,
Shane

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
i have chitala ornata (albino version :D )

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
predatorpassion said:
wow, do you really :thumbsup:

good luck

any pics?
ya heres one i have to take more and get clear ones.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
"Featherfin" refers to their dorsal fin which resembles a feather.

Chitala blanci aka Royal Clown Knife- The Spotted Featherback to science. Principally found in the Mekong Delta of Southeast Asia. Bred in Thailand as a food fish. To four feet in length in the wild. Feeds on fishes, crustaceans, and insects.

Chitala chitala aka Clown Knife- A hardy animal that gets to four feet in length. East Asia, mainly the Indus and Ganges of India. pH 6.0-8.0, dH 5-19.

Chitala ornata aka Clown Featherback- Southeast Asia. To three feet in length. Looks like a svelte version of Chitala chitala.

Chitala lopis aka Mekong Featherback- Asia: Borneo Sumatra, Java, Malaysia and Thailand. To four and a half feet in length. Only occasionally imported to the aquarium trade in the West.

Notopterus notopterus aka Bronze Featherback, Black Clown Knife- Found all over Asia: Pakistan, Myanmar, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia. A shiny bronze beauty when in good condition. To two feet in length. Important food fish.

Papyrocranus afer aka Reticulate Knife, African Featherback- West Africa: the Niger and Ghana. To thirty two inches in length.

Xenomystus nigri aka African Knife- Western Africa. To eight inches maximum length. Vies with the Clown Knife as most popular aquarium species of the family. Easy going, intelligent addition to peaceful tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store