Ray and Plecos?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello. I have an ~9" BD hybrid I've been growing out. I'd like to add him to my geo sveni/manacurapu angel 96"x30" footprint. It has tons of open sandy bottom and I feel he'd do real well. My only concern are the 2 plecos that I have in there. 1 is a marble sailfin that's about 9" (I've had him since 2003) and a gold nugget. Do you think this would work? Thanks in advance.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
in my opinion its very risky rays are known to have a very sensitive skin witch can be irritated badly meaning when a place sucks on it it can lead to an open wound were bacteria can feast and this is not good.

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
I’ve had my rays and royal pleco together for months without a problem. Recently one ray got a wound and my pleco was all over it once I turned the light off. That pleco got relocated immediately. I’ll never even risk it again !

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I've had sailfin plecos with rays for many years without any issues... and I don't see the gold nugget posing any threat as well. You should be fine with that combo... my only concern would be the aggression level of the geos and angels when they are breeding. There are many rays that can not tolerate stress, so I would keep a close eye when the geos/angels are breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store