People each react differently to being stung. I have even reacted differently due to type or ray, size of ray and location of the hit. I've felt everything from "Ouch, that hurt" all the way up to "Please cut my limb off".You don't use chain-mail gloves??? You're more courageous than I am, Sir. I got impaled by a massive N. Atlantic stingray about 12 years ago - barely missed a main artery in my wrist and put me in the hospital for 4 days where they proceeded to reassure me it was "no big deal" and "stingrays aren't dangerous"
.......5 months later Steve Irwin dies from a stingray. How's that for irony, right? I'll never touch another stingray out of water again without chain-mail or Kevlar gloves!!! I did get to keep my hand btw. I'm glad, it's kinda grown on me after all these years. lol It totally sucked, man..they had me on steroids and antbiotics and stuff. I guess it was a neurotoxin (?) because my sensory system was all screwed up for like 3 weeks after; everything I ate and drank "tasted" like venom. Any idea why, Bro? I mean I literally had a gourmet grilled Swordfish steak the night I got out of the hospital and I just couldn't eat more than a few bites because of the reaction the venom had to my tastebuds. Is that normal in envenomations?
Barbs shed, much like shark, ray and crocodile teeth. Some rays will often have a stack of 2,3 or even 4 barbs growing in the wild as the new barbs grow in under the old ones.I'm curious, having never kept rays; in the wild do they have problems with their barbs overgrowing etc?