Rays are acting off after about a week with me!?

NorwayFishkeeper

Feeder Fish
Mar 12, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
Under 0,05ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0,025ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Close to 0
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello,

So I recently got 2 BD stingrays, they've been doing fine for a week, and a week ago one started to lift its nose and then bulk up and kinda arching its back up, it circles and looks distressed. Also looks like its rubbing up against the airatsone when it circles around itself. I've testet the water and found nothing wrong several times. Tried to treat with some salt, and more oxygen with no luck. I feel it's been getting worse even though I've been doing waterchanges of 10-20% almost everyday or every second day because I was told it looks like bad water.
Noone has any idea what this might be and I really hope to find an answer so I can do something about it before it dies. It's still eating, it has been eating ever since I got it.

Now the other one has started to show it too, but very subtle. Nothing I have tried has helped so I'm really worried now..

Yes, the tank was fully cycled before the fish got in. It's a 350L bare bottom grow out tank as they're still small, and I have an FX6 and an internal filter and big airpump with airstone. Filtration should not be an issue at all.

Has anyone ever seen this?
I'll try to show it best possible in the pictures.

Someone please help!

16788238647461587853348144608281.jpg16788238939035696631330514936720.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If there still eating, soak their food in praziquantel for a few feedings. They may have parasites or flukes. Prazi is a great general treatment and works quickly when ingested with their food. Its also very safe to use in my experience. Keep up with the 10-20% water changes every/every other day also. Mix a small amt of water in a bowl, add the prazi, then add their food. Let it soak 10-20 min. and feed as usual.

If you dont have a LFS with praziquantel powder or “prazipro” available, petsmart usually always has API “general cure” which contains prazi and metro powder. Use 1 packet per feeding.

Reactions: tlindsey

NorwayFishkeeper

Feeder Fish
Mar 12, 2023
If there still eating, soak their food in praziquantel for a few feedings. They may have parasites or flukes. Prazi is a great general treatment and works quickly when ingested with their food. Its also very safe to use in my experience. Keep up with the 10-20% water changes every/every other day also. Mix a small amt of water in a bowl, add the prazi, then add their food. Let it soak 10-20 min. and feed as usual.

If you dont have a LFS with praziquantel powder or “prazipro” available, petsmart usually always has API “general cure” which contains prazi and metro powder. Use 1 packet per feeding.

I couldn't find any praziquantel powder, we also don't have API general cure here.. stumbled across liquid praziquantel though. But its like a super potent concentration and I doubt I could make it even remotely as safe for ingestion.. It says use teaspoon for 75L of water

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I couldn't find any praziquantel powder, we also don't have API general cure here.. stumbled across liquid praziquantel though. But its like a super potent concentration and I doubt I could make it even remotely as safe for ingestion.. It says use teaspoon for 75L of water
They make the liquid out of the powder… so its already diluted. Squirt some on the food in a bit of water in a bowl. Its very safe to use this way. 1 teaspoon would still be fine even.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store