Rays on a budget- My (somewhat long) story w/pics

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) MN
Look forward to seeing your business progress! Times are rough right now, but I hope everything works out! And yes after some things go your way with the motoros. Buy some p13 and p14 breeders ;)

Anyway, nice rays and good luck!

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Pete- I see, I'd looked at your designs, but I didn't identify the materials you were using. I still don't know what I'm going to do on that. I might just use a pvc liner and glue some cinder blocks together. I have a stack of blocks already that aren't doing anything.

It ultimately boils down to what rays I can find and afford when my financing comes through. And if the $20 pvc liner makes the difference between adding one more ray, or not adding one more ray...then, well, we may just have to bathe in the kitchen sink for a while. We got a real big bathtub here ;)

P13, P14 I love them both, but I can't buy 2 of each... :( I can't even decide which I like best!

In fact, I don't even know that I should try and buy them for a while... It might be wiser for me to make sure first, that I always have something for sale. I could have quite a few Marbled Motoros if I waited on getting Leo's. Tough decisions.

Mike

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
quick question, I have read what you are doing, and like the idea. just wondering if you will be selling any of the stingray babies? If so how much cause i am contemplating on getting one when my 220 is resealed. And keep us posted on progress

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Yes, I will be selling them all very reasonably. I would expect birth in maybe 40-60 days? I can see them moving inher, but she isn't huge yet.

I'm keeping an eye on the other female too. She may be pregnant as well.

After this, I think I'm splitting them up and I'm currently eying a male and a female that I think will go great with them. I got big plans for a small room...

I may actually have to make "bunk-ponds"...But if I put up a building first, it would sit empty.

Mike

Bonzo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
CA
Hey man, I really like your idea. Hopefully you can make the best out of this business idea of yours. It is nice that you are gonna be your own boss doing aquatic stuff. Keep it up. Best of luck to you man.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Thanks! That helps keep me going. Some days it feels so surreal... but most days lately, I've been pretty focused. There's NEVER a gaurantee that any business venture will work, and even if it IS a great idea.... That's why it helps a TON to hear others here telling me that it's a good idea.

Mike

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
I am now in the process of building the first pool for the Rays under the shelf. I ended up going with wood and pond liner, and no steel frame for a couple of reasons. First, due to the position of the pool, I only needed to make 2 sides of the tank. I also needed to make a raised platform out of 2 x 10's, or there would be no way to use a sump. So now I have room to plumb in a drain and run it into my furnace room where the common sump will be.

Pool number 2 will be very much the same, except I'll use a backwall of foamboard since it is on an exterior wall.

Pool #3 is going to be the real fun one. Pool #3 will be above pool #2. I am sure that a platform made of 2 x 10's on 10" center will be enough to hold it. but I need to measure some things to make sure I have clearance for 2 x 10's and still be able to access the pools. It still has to fit under the ceiling.

Pictures to come soon.

Mike

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Good luck!!!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Seems like a fun buisness if all goes well. Good luck, I wish you nothing but success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store