rays passing hooks

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
calgaryflames;5000103; said:
not a hook i am leaning toward parasites or diesease
Yeah something may be irritating, I would rule out water parameters with a bif old test of everything and then look at parasite treatments. Wild caught does point towards parasites.

All wild animals have a certain parasite load and the stresses of conversion to captivity and shipping can allow the parasites to begin to take over where the natural defences are lower.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I have myselfe 9 wc rays, and hasnt had a problem since i first got them, lucky i gues, but there may be something under the surface that can break out anytime, who knows. Ive had them for soon to be 1,5 year.

StingrayBiology

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2011
USA
www.stingraybreeding.blogspot.com
We have had experience with this. There are no real tell tale signs that can indicate your fish has a hook. We had a fish that was eating well and stop eating suddenly. 2 weeks later developed a prolapsed intestine. Over time the intestine retracted and he starting eating again. Then 3 months later passed a hook. We have had approximately 4 out of 10 rays pass hooks. Each in their own unique way. We recently had an unexplained death of a perfectly healthy fish. I will bet there is a hook. We will be disecting the fish and documenting the process. Will post results once we have it.
More information regarding our work can be found in our blog.
www.stingraybreeding.blogspot.com

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
I found a small hook in my tank a few weeks after getting a ray years ago I still have the hook it is still in good shape a little beat up no barb on it I'll try and get a pic I thought my kid through it in there but later realized it came from the ray

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
thanks scott that picture is amazing.good job on getting that shot!!

but its unfortunate that the problem with this ray is 100% not a hook and beyond fixing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store