Rays scratching acrylic

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I'm looking into getting a larger tank and weight is definitely a factor due to living in an apartment. So I was looking into getting an acrylic setup, but I was reading a post on here the other day and someone was saying they wished they went with a glass tank because their stingrays scratched the acrylic all up. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problems with rays scratching acrylic.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That person had probably never heard of mighty magnets. They're a magnetic glass cleaner that have removable pads. Some pads for algae, others for scratches. Don't even have to empty the tank or remove fish. Bit of a workout, but no big deal.

With the shatter impact risk of glass, heavier weight, weaker insulation properties, I've transitioned to acrylic over the years

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes two magnets. One outside one inside. Oversized, removable pads interior. Some pads soft for acrylic to remove algae. Then there's another series of pads to use for scratches. For really deep scratches you may need to wet sand during a water change then finish with the magnet.

Let me clarify. Didn't mean to write "glass" in my original post. They clean both glass and acrylic. Remove scratches on acrylic not glass.

http://www.mightymagnets.com

Reactions: Robert Fling

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
No issues with my rays scratching the acrylic.

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
spotfin spotfin yeah I noticed you're tank was in really good shape, I'm actually looking at getting the same size tank you have. Do you remember how heavy it was empty?

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid im definitely going to save that link, thank you!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I don't, but my wife and I moved it into the house.

Reactions: Robert Fling

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I was looking at getting a shorter tank to reduce the weight, but I figured this would be the only large tank I'll be able to get for quite awhile and I didn't want to regret it later on. I just hope my landlord never sees it. He noticed I upgraded from a 55 to a 75 and I don't think he really liked that so I couldn't imagine how mad he'd be if he walked in and saw a 200+ gallon tank in his living room

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store