RC clod buster project #2!

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Jumped back into these RC trucks back in Oct after 15 yrs away and started my scale tube chassis clod build. Close to being done with that one but still not complete yet, but I decided to start a 2nd truck build. Guess I'm hooked again

This 2nd truck is going to be an all out bulletproof basher that is light, HD parts, and able to take a beating. Been collecting all the parts to build a new set of clod axles and started building those now. Using Thundertech CVD's in the front and Thundertech straight axle in the rear. Chassis I am making myself out of two carbon fiber plates I bought off ebay. Ordered some CNC machined lower links from Southwest Monster Shop the other day, plan to run a King Sling body. Still have a lot of drilling to do on the chassis plates but got them roughed in tonight.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Working on building some upper links today. On mt tuber build I did the normal DIY style links with all thread rod through 1/4" brake line tubing. On this one I want it to be as durable as possible so I'm making the upper links for this one out of solid 1/4" aluminum round stock and drilling/tapping them for some traxxas revo rod ends.

Reactions: FMA4ME

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA

Working on building some upper links today. On mt tuber build I did the normal DIY style links with all thread rod through 1/4" brake line tubing. On this one I want it to be as durable as possible so I'm making the upper links for this one out of solid 1/4" aluminum round stock and drilling/tapping them for some traxxas revo rod ends.
Daaaang!!! Nice!!

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
The last one was a killer for some reason. I got the first three drilled nice and dead center of the 1/4" round stock. Then on the very last one I ended up wasting three rods before finally getting the last link done. Dang drill keep walking off at an angle. I think maybe my eyes were going crossed by the last one or something lol

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Got a lot done tonight. Got the upper links finished, was not a lot of fun doing those. Everything is coming together though and I'm really liking the way it's working. Overall weight so far is just 2.12lbs. Ended up going with 12.5 wheelbase on this one. With as light as this is, on the castle 5700kv & 3S this thing is gonna be a beast :grinyes:

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Moving right along at a good pace now. King Sling body came yesterday so got it all trimmed out and body mounts on. One thing I don't like about King Sling is the scoop being on the rear of the truck, so I trimmed the rear of the scoop to fit against the windshield and mounted it on the hood. I like it much better this way. Also mounted the shocks inboard a bit more so I could trim off some of the mounting tabs so I have no contact with the motors under full suspension compression now at all. Renegade tires should be here tomorrow, should be doing some paint work tomorrow as well

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
This current truck I'm building is one I am trying to make as bulletproof as possible. So rather than using plastic headers I spent some time making some of my own. Used 1/4" solid aluminum stock, bent with a tubing bender then drilled & tapped then mounted to the chassis with some 3/8" 8/32 caphead bolts. Don't think I have to worry about these breaking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store