MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey there,

I posted a while back about my Gold Saum not eating etc and it seems to be down to the swim bladder (tail dragging and struggling to keep upright every now and then).

I've started treatment with interpet swim bladder and have increased water temp slightly each night (now about 78 deg F) but after 3 days his symptoms seem to be getting worse.

Is this common when treating swim bladder?
Concerned he might be taking a turn for the worse!
Can he be too far past treatable because I didn't know it was swim bladder for such a long time (6-8 weeks).

All water conditions fine & treated for parasites.

Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
6-8 weeks is a while. Looked it up online and see mixed reviews. Not sure if active ingredients have bacterial efficacy although the site says so. I’d retry epsom salt and kanamycin if available. Lower the water level to keep it upright.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I've had two fish with swim bladder issues. I tried the fasting for a few days plus daphnia (or shellled peas) for constipation. I simultaneously did the Epson salt treatment. When they didn't improve, I did three treatments (the maximum) of kanaplex.

One fish, my male dority, got worse and then stopped eating. He eventually ended up just lying on the bottom of the tank (before he was just swimming diagonally when I moved him to QT). He died probably two weeks after I noticed the problem.

The other one happened recently. Same treatment regiment except I also tried soaking food in Epson salt as described in RD's hex treatment thread. Later, the fish got New Life spectrum Hex shield.
This was a praecox female. She didn't improve hit didn't get worse. I moved her back with other praecox rainbows. She's still around and swims a little diagonal but seems to be eating an maneuvering around okay.

Reactions: sbloxy123

sbloxy123

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Thanks for the advice.. I've added some Epsom salts and will complete this course of swim bladder treatment then look into buying some kanaplex.
To be honest I don't know how he's still alive as I haven't seen him eat for a few weeks now.
Hopefully this round of treatment works as I've tried quite a few medicines over this period but nothing has worked.. I know this stuff just happens but can probably blame myself for feeding cheap frozen prawns.
I'll try to keep you updated, thanks again.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Here's my thread on the rainbow that didn't recover. There's a link in there to another thread about Epson salt dose which I quoted in one of my posts.

Reactions: sbloxy123

sbloxy123

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Here's my thread on the rainbow that didn't recover. There's a link in there to another thread about Epson salt dose which I quoted in one of my posts.

Thanks for this Cardeater..defo worth the read and thanks for updating till the end.
As an update my fish isn't getting better..but isn't getting worse... He is perching his head on a rock to keep upright.

Going to try to order some kanamycin and put in QT after next week I recon. Haven't get a spare tank but assume a large plastic storage box will be fine.....

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Thanks for this Cardeater..defo worth the read and thanks for updating till the end.
As an update my fish isn't getting better..but isn't getting worse... He is perching his head on a rock to keep upright.

I just noticed the last few days that I think the female praecox rainbowfish with swim bladder healed. There are two females and I don't notice the one swimming diagonally anymore. I can't say it's 100% improved but it's improved enough that I don't notice a difference between the two.

So I had that one Dority that never recovered as detailed in the thread and I have this female who seems to have fully recovered.

Just updating here as I didn't have my own thread for that fish.

As I've stated in other threads, I try to post updated so someone searching threads can see the results, whether they are good or bad.

sbloxy123

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Thanks Cardeater. My GT didn't make it in the end unfortunately. Not sure what the reason was... He got worse after the swim bladder treatment which is strange.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store