really pouty oscar

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
my 4" tiger oscar has been all gloomy or shy or pouty for about a month. the original cause was because he was bullied by a firemouth, but tht firemouth has been out of the tank for 4 ish weeks water conditions are great, just in a little diatom bloom right now. im starting to think this isnt normal. he used to be this SUPER puppylike fish but now hes more like a crab or something really gIMG_20200430_191901.jpgloomy or shy

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Darken the substrate a bit too, if you haven't aleady.
I agree with this, although an aquarist may think a white, bright, light colored substrate looks good.
Any dark colored fish is going to be under stress because it feels vulnerable.
The main threat in nature to cichlids are fish eating birds so so being a dark fish on light colored substrate makes them a target.
The only cichlids that feel comfortable on light substrate are light colored, sparkly ones, Beside blending with the substrate, the iridescent spots help them blend with the reflective surface of the water as seen from above.
An example below.

There are 3 herichthys carpintus in the shot above.
From the side (below), they are quite visible, but from above, as you can see........

These and others like the Geophagus iporagunsus would be comfortable on your substrate, but dark fish like oscars, or Stomatepia pindu (2nd shot below)would be under constant stress.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I would also like to add that even when ya change the substrate to a darker one don't be surprised if the O wants to lay at the bottom of the tank. Oscars are extremely lazy/moody fish and will often just lay on the bottom and act like it's dieing just to receive attention or to sleep/rest. Ik mine used to lay at the bottom all the time and act like it was dieing but the moment I would walk over to the tank he would suddenly be up, alive and wiggling around infront of the glass wanting food.

• Haha
Reactions: FINWIN and Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Its interesting to me how adult oscars in nature often hang around the surface, if they know they can disappear into the mire quickly.

Because even as adults the gauntlet of birds that will easily swallow them up is everywhere.
0223D4B3-783F-4E8F-98D5-52C852CE075A_1_201_a.jpeg

a shot from a rivers edge in Colombia S America above
Below a cormorant fishing for Jack Dempseys and Mollies below

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
haha he has a TON of hiding places, a big pot, basically a tree beside it, im not worried about few hiding places, but also my lights arent dimmable
what kind of lights? back in the day i wrapped my fluorescent lights in electrical tape...

if led - could try paper or plastic egg crate under light if your concerned about fire

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store