recaulking my tank pls help

rivendel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Canada
i just got a 35 gal tank, and the seller told me i may or may not need some recaulking, my question is what if i put a new sealant on it, do i need to remove the old sealant or just put the new on top of it.. sorry for stupid question i just dont know it..

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
Do a search in the forum. There are MANY threads talking about this, with pics and different things some have done along the way

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
You'll need to remove the old sealant. it will prevent the new sealant from making a strong bond with the glass, and will be likely to leak as well. Stripping the old silicone isn't hard. Just use a razorblade and peel it out. Usually it comes out in long strips.

Once you've got most of it out, run the razor blade along the glass where the old silicone was. You want to make sure that there is little or no residue left on the glass. After that, give it a good wash with alcohol (100% ethanol or methanol) or acetone.

Once its clean and dry, apply the new silicone in a bead around all the corners. Smooth it out with a finger or the back of a spoon. If you want a cleaner look, put some blue painters tape at the limits of where you want the silicone to be, put in the silicone, and while its still wet, pull the tape off. That will leave nice clean lines.

rivendel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
Canada
Conner;2771840; said:
You'll need to remove the old sealant. it will prevent the new sealant from making a strong bond with the glass, and will be likely to leak as well. Stripping the old silicone isn't hard. Just use a razorblade and peel it out. Usually it comes out in long strips.

Once you've got most of it out, run the razor blade along the glass where the old silicone was. You want to make sure that there is little or no residue left on the glass. After that, give it a good wash with alcohol (100% ethanol or methanol) or acetone.

Once its clean and dry, apply the new silicone in a bead around all the corners. Smooth it out with a finger or the back of a spoon. If you want a cleaner look, put some blue painters tape at the limits of where you want the silicone to be, put in the silicone, and while its still wet, pull the tape off. That will leave nice clean lines.
wow thanks a lot, ill try that tomorrow and i'll get back to you when im done..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store