Received my ATF in mail... need ID please

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
I paid $130 total for that fish that is alive thinking it was a GATF... after looking and comparing the fish to others online i think they sent me a VATF instead.... I might have gotten ripped off paying $130 for this 5 inch VATF look alike...but i dont know the average price on vatf species.

At first i thought it might be a BATF or FATF but under bright light i see a little red on the top lobe of the caudal fin and more so on the bottom lobe also. only thing is i dont see much prominent striping on mine unless under bright light but that could be just because he is only 5 inches?? Not sure... anyone have any opinions?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Troy and I have voiced our opinions in your other thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/thoughts-on-my-3-atf-situation.709080/

I am nobody here but I'd highly recommend to not repeat the same question in three different threads, people get confused, put off, and don't reply.

Ideally, I am a big proponent to having one thread for each fish or fish type in your care and have all the discussions and questions there as well as photos and updates, etc. If you are getting no attention, you can bump the thread or tag people or ask them to chime in your thread by PM.

But you can't make them. Especially not by creating multiple threads.

Sister threads for cross-linking:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/thoughts-on-my-3-atf-situation.709080/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/id-on-2-different-atfs-please.708975/

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy1015 and moe214

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Yes I know I wish I could delete some of these threads and just keep my main thread. It only happened this way three threads about the same subject because I was going through a hard time with the seller and was trying to seek help from people here during the process but now the situation is over and I'm sorry for making multiple threads about it I was just desperate for help and information at the time.

This is also my first fish purchase online and I'm fairly new to aquariums in general but not new to fish.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
The dead one is def a gatf but the living one is def not one! Most likely a vatf from the looks of it. Time will tell more. Who did u source these fish from if u dont mind saying...if not np. I understand. It would help others in the future. Keep us updated on the living one.

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
The dead one is def a gatf but the living one is def not one! Most likely a vatf from the looks of it. Time will tell more. Who did u source these fish from if u dont mind saying...if not np. I understand. It would help others in the future. Keep us updated on the living one.
I got them from a seller whom I collaborated with on eBay... I know going into eBay the risks very well about dealing with sellers that have every excuse in the book or just any personal trouble or excuse.. However I do know that I'm 100% protected as far as my money back absolute worst case scenario if I really wanted to no matter what the situation is as a buyer on eBay not to mention your defenses you have with PayPal as well.

But aside from being protected 100% with your money the downside is once in awhile you deal with people who just can't get it right but are nice about it so you waste your time working with them or most times you get somebody who knows what they're doing and makes it a great transaction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store